rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  38 years experience
12769047

1991 Ford Bronco: 5.8 liter..tried starting..engine cranks over fine.

I have a 1991 Ford Bronco, 5.8 liter, that will not start. I drive it daily, then the last time I tried starting it, it would not. The engine cranks over fine. I checked for spark from the ignition coil to the distributor and get none. I am getting power to the coil with the ignition switch on. I took the ignition module to O'Riley auto and had it checked and it turned out to be good. What else could be the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 years ago.

rpmdiag :

Thanks for your question. Sorry you're having car problems, I will do my best to research this and supply you with an accurate answer ASAP. The stator inside the distributor is most likely bad and needs to be replaced. the distributor needs to come out to do this too. Hope this helps you. Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag :

Also be sure that you do have battery voltage to the positive side of the ignition coil from the ignition switch. Ron

Customer:

Is that wht the ignition module plugs into?

rpmdiag :

Yes it is, and they fail all the time too

rpmdiag :

Please click on the appropriate button to Accept and Rate My Answer; I don’t get credit for helping you unless you do. I hope you found my answer to be helpful, and if you have any additional questions about this afterwards, just keep this link and please ask me. I’m here to help you. Please note: not every answer we give you is something you were hoping to hear, even though it is true, such as; (it’s more expensive than you wanted to spend, or you will need to have a shop do the diagnostics and/or repairs due to complexity reasons). Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag, Diagnostic Expert
Experience: 38 years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the stator and the Bronco started and ran fine. That evening, after driving it a bit, it wouldn't start again. The next morning it started right up. This afternoon it started fine and after warming up, it won't start again. I checked for spark and it has none. there is what appears to be a condensor mounted on the side of the coil. Could this be bad or the coil? And if so, how do I check them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
He must be away. No answer for 15 minutes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't know how to test the coil, so I bought a new one and still there is no spark. I'm taking the ignition module to Kragen to have it tested. Other than that I don't know what to do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The ignition module tested bad this time. I guess the new pick up coil was too much for it and it failed after the rejuvinated spark.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 years ago.
You probably need to put both in again, and Ford parts. I don't trust the aftermarket parts. Ron
rpmdiag, Diagnostic Expert
Experience: 38 years experience