Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

88 ranger 2.9 wont start. No fire to spark plugs

star-full

88 ranger 2.9 won't start. No fire to spark plugs
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Providing you key on power to the positive side of the coil then the usually suspect for a lack of spark is in most cases eaither the Ignition module or the stator in the distributor. If you have replaced the module then replacing the stator would be the next step.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you provide me with a schematic of the ign system. The customer stated the truck shut off several times and when he wiggled the wires at the left inner fender at the firewall it would start.

Sure here you go.

DOWNLOAD HERE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can u send me the schematic that shows the EAC? the ign schematic doesn't show that. Any way to test the stator?
Are you calling the PCM (computer) the EAC?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh yes this is an 87 not an 88 if it matters. At the bottom of the schematic you sent me it says "To Electronic Control Assy. ECA"
The diagrams are the same form 1987 to 1988 here is the ECA diagrams you need.

DOWNLOAD HERE and HERE and HERE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any way to test the Stator Pickup coil? Ohms?
Here is stator testing.

graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Installed Stator Pickup and still won't fire. Any ideas?
Did you run the stator test?

Are you sure the new coil and module are good?

Do you have battery voltage at the positive side of the coil?

Are you sure the distributor is turning?

Do you have no spark from the coil?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Don't have the tester needed in the procedure to test the stator. I replaced it with a new one. The first test on the module wa open (no reading) on the new ign. module and known good takeoff module. I replaced the coil with a known good takeoff. There is voltage to both terminals of the coil key on and in crankig mode. The distributor is turning! I turned the engine over to position the rotor for ease of reinstalling the distributor. Is there a way to check for spark from just the coil? There is fuel pressure at the rail.

The best way to see if the coil is firing is pull the coil wire from the coil tower and crank it over, if you have spark there should be a nice blue spark from the tower.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Pulled the coil lead off the coil, turned the key on and cranked it over with a screw driver 1/4" away from the output and against ground. no spark!

If you sure you have good voltage to the coil then eaither the coil is bad or the module and or stator or the PCM has failed. There is no way to know whit doing the complete testing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Voltage to coil both terminals is 12.2 key on and 11.2 in crank mode. Switched coil again. New module and stator.

What is the test procedure to test to see if the PCM is failed. Do I look for a signal to the ICM? I have a Snapon Modis but I don't think it can check the PCM.

Unfortunately due to the age of the truck, I dont have a flow chart. Let me look around and see if I can find you something.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hooked up my Snapon Modis and the only code was from 05/07 and it was PIP eratic. No new codes recorded. I made sure the red/lg wire from the ignition switch is powered up in key on and crank modes and it was. That provides ign power to the PCM, the coil, and the ICM. The grounds are clean tight.
Does the PIP code reset after you clear it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

cleared the PIP code and cranked the engine and re checked and code was gone. Also Modis said to pull the spout connector and check for spark and there was none. Code 14 PIP eratic could be wiring PCN to ICM.Still tracing wiring and continuity.

It sounds like you getting close. If its setting a code, its not likely the PCM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thats just it the codes were old. No new codes were set through this whole failure. The 14 didn't show again after cleared.

I would suspect due to the age of the truck you have a wiring concern.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I agree. What specs can you dig up as far as required voltages and functionality of the vehicle side of the ICM harness and the coil harness. How does the coil fire? Does the one lead change to ground to fire it etc?
Unfortunately due to the age of the Bronco I have not found much of anything that is going to be helpful, I can relist the question in hopes someone else can come up with some older information. Its pretty hard to do on the older systems. See if this helps.

See if this helps.

graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Ron.

Ill get on it tomorrow again after I get som other work done.

If I can help, Im here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Morning Ron,

Talked with the customer again and he said the truck quit several times and not just the spark but totally dead. I ordered an ignition switch. i have a feeling that is the issue. i'll let you know.

The 1988 did have issues with bad switches so you may be on track with this.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the ignition switch fixed it. Thanks For Everything!
Great work!!! Your very welcome and thank you very much as well. Now you can have a nice week end for sure.