marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience:  i-car/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision work monthly 18 yrs exp.Licensed Adjuster

2009 Ford Escape: ve owned..developed a rattle in the back liftgate

Customer Question

Vehicle is a 2009 Ford Escape, 47K miles on it. I've owned it a little over a year. Love this car, but it has developed a rattle in the back liftgate that is driving me c-r-a-z-y. I have to turn the radio on to drown it out but sometimes I'd just like to drive with no radio and no rattly noise. The noise happens on smooth or bumpy roads and really sounds like it's coming from the right side of the liftgate. It started off as an occasional thing and just got louder and louder. Took it to the dealer, they said I needed a new bumper -- and by this I think it was an internal bumper part, not the external back bumper. They installed the part, which cost less than $5 (the labor was $40), and then "made an adjustment," and it was quiet for about half a day. Then the rattle came back, just like before - absolutely no improvement. Although I should be able to take it right back to the dealer and say "fix it like you said you would/like I paid for," I do not trust them. I've gone there for three issues so far and each one turned into a two-visit "repair," and never was anything fixed right the first time. I won't let myself go back there -- I just am too convinced they won't actually fix it. I want to take that plastic liftgate cover off myself and just tighten everything up underneath there - does that sound doable?
Category: Ford
Expert:  marcpod replied 2 years ago.

Hi I am here to help you honestly and with the utmost integrity.I may ask you questions back to minimize bad information. We need to check process. Yes you can do this!

Bumper
Cover - Rear

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the 4 rear bumper
    cover center screws.
  2. Remove the 2 rear splash shields.

• Remove the 4 splash shield pin-type retainers (2 each side).
    • Remove the 4 splash shield screws (2 each side).
    • To install, tighten to 5 Nm (44 lb-in).

1. Remove the 2 rear bumper
    cover upper screws (1 each side).

1. Remove the 2 liftgate alignment bumper
    bolts and the 2 liftgate alignment bumpers.

• To install, tighten to 8 Nm (71 lb-in).

1. If equipped, disconnect the parking aid system or trailer tow electrical
    connector.
  2. Remove the rear bumper
    cover.
  3. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

• When installing, position the rear bumper
        cover into the bumper slides.
      • Transfer all necessary components.

Bumper
Cover - Rear

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the 4 rear bumper
    cover center screws.
  2. Remove the 2 rear splash shields.

1. Remove the 2 rear bumper
    cover upper screws (1 each side).

marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience: i-car/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision work monthly 18 yrs exp.Licensed Adjuster
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the prompt answer - it looks like only this section of the answer might apply to my situation:

• Remove the 2 liftgate alignment bumper

I found my repair order and the part that was ordered and installed is a "W713320*S300 Bumper", and that their road test found "left side tail gate missing bumper." This is just to help you make sure you're giving me information that's specific to my problem.

Expert:  marcpod replied 2 years ago.

yes that is correct you may be missing a rubber that will keep the tail gate and bumper from hitting each other. What you can do is Katie look at the side that is not making the noise and see if there is something missing on the side that is. It may be as simple as a rubber protector. If you need to see a regular body shop they will know exactly what to do they may not even charge you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay that's good enough for me - I'm dying to open that thing up and look at it myself, AND I figured a regular body shop would be able to take care of this in two seconds. So disappointed in the Ford dealer... I was willing to pay extra to take care of my baby the "right way" and they've done everything the wrong way so far. Excellent info - thank you!!
Expert:  marcpod replied 2 years ago.
your welcome if you need anything just let me know!