Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

2010 Ford: fuel inlet assembly with no gas cap..check fuel..dash

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion with a fuel inlet assembly with no gas cap. Just recently, I have been getting check fuel inlet message on the dash info display. This has been going on a few months. Now I have a solid check engine light so I read the codes and I get "ECM has detected a large leak in the EVAP system during a system monitor test". The number one cause is a defective, loose, or missing fuel cap. My question is do I have to replace the entire fuel inlet assembly as shown for $201 on rockauto.com? There is also a gas cap I saw on rockauto.com for the same vehicle. Are these interchangeable?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name his Steve W, we do these all the time, there is a tsb from ford on a malfunctioning canister purge valve..any more questions just ask, thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi steve, can you give more information on this tsb? Location and exploded diagrams?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car has 96K miles on it. I didn't think it was in warranty but I guess it may be if it's a TSB. Do you have the number for that TSB?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello? Are you still there?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Tsb's are from Ford for a Known concern, there is no warranty, can I have your VIN?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3FAHP0HA3AR110687
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.

Here is the TSB for the canister purge solenoid, there is also a message to blow debris out the easy fill neck, and more questions just ask, Thanks Steve W

TSB click here

21018 2008-2010 FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY VEHICLES
WITH CAPLESS FUEL (EASY FUEL) - EVAPORATE LEAK SERVICE TIP.

FOR 2008-2010 FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY VEHICLES WITH CAPLESS FUEL
(EASY FUEL) THAT HAVE MIL FOR DTCS P0442, P0455 OR P0456 OR "CHECK FUEL FILL
INLET" DISPLAYED IN THE MESSAGE CENTER WITH DTC P0457 AND THE EVAPORATIVE LEAK
TEST CONFIRMS SMOKE FROM CAPLESS DOOR, THE LEAK COULD BE DUE TO DEBRIS (SAND,
DUST) ON THE SEAL. BEFORE REPLACING PARTS, ACTUATE CAPLESS SEALING DOOR FIVE
TIMES TO CLEAR DEBRIS USING SUPPLEMENTAL REFUELING ADAPTER (SRA) FUNNEL OR A
STANDARD UNLEADED FUEL FILLER NOZZLE. REFER TO OWNER GUIDE FOR THE SRA LOCATION
IN VEHICLE. YOU MAY ALSO USE SHORT BURSTS OF SHOP AIR ONTO THE CAPLESS DOOR SEAL
TO CLEAR THE DEBRIS ON THE SEAL. RUN EVAPORATIVE LEAK TEST AGAIN. IF LEAK IS
STILL PRESENT WITH CONFIRMATION OF SMOKE, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL
PROCEDURES.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 09-OCTOBER-2009

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could this defective canister purge valve cause the following message on the information display, "check fuel fill inlet" ?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.

Yes it could. This is the part we replace the most.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, the my DTC code is P0455.
The TSB appears to be only for DTC P144A, P2196, P2198, or P!A0C. It says not to continue if your STC is not one of these, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My code is a P0455. The TSB appears to only be for P144A, P2196, P2198, or P1A0C.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Anything in the evap system that causes a leak or has a hole in it will cause the P0455, if the canister purge solenoid is not sealing correctly when it shuts off, it sees this leak during the test, then sets the check gas cap first, then when it fails again the check engine light comes on and it sets a P0455 gross leak detected. Anything in the evap system will cause this, a evap test should be run to find the leak point and also a smoke test to pinpoint, but from past repairs on these vehicles it has been the evap canister purge solenoid 95 percent of the time. If you want a definitive answer on the exact part needed, you need to have it diagnosed at a dealer or repair shop, but from what I have seen on these vehicles is the most common part is the canister purge solenoid. Thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I get a location and exploded diagram of this purge valve and canister?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX pay you as soon as I can locate these diagrams on the internet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great! Thanks for those. Just one more please...The purge valve is the same as the purge solenoid, correct?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Correct
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience: 28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for sticking with me. You have helped me quite a bit.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, we are busy today, thanks for using Just Answer, Steve W