Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

Ford: Following on my 06 Fusion question..turn signal..diagnostic

Following on my 06 Fusion question, I took from your answer, involving operating the directional signals via scan tool, that the turn signal problem would have to be addressed at the Ford dealership using their scan tool. My customer is very reluctant (imagine!) to expose himself to dealer service costs. I can borrow a Genesys 4000 ... but I haven't used it for this sort of diagnostic work. Do you know whether I can expect it to do what you suggested, or is this a "strictly dealer" repair?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I want to see if I understood the answer correctly.
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The other Experts and I are working on your answer.

By the way, it would help us to know:

-Is this question in regards XXXXX XXXXX tail lights not working properly?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Shawn,

No, the front turn signals - rear ones work, but front ones don't. Left front stays on, always, and bulb has to be removed so battery doesn't drain. Right doesn't work at all. Tried replacing both bulbs. Removed instrument cluster, on a long shot, looking for flasher, and "What, to my wondering eyes should appear...", not a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer, but the work of a cost-cutting (why else?) genius who had incorporated it with the instrument cluster. Bah. Humbug! My 91 Olds looks better and better all the time.

Stephen

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
Hi Customer,

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. LOL! (eight tiny reindeer) The engineers are great, aren't they. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a a possible defective SJB (Smart Junction Box).Before replacing any parts, I always recommend proper testing first. If you need, I can send the test procedures as well as the replacement instructions directly from Ford.

Principles of Operation

The smart junction box (SJB) monitors the multifunction switch position by sending multiple voltage reference signals to the multifunction switch. When the multifunction switch is in the LH or RH TURN positions, or the hazard lamp switch is engaged, that input signal is routed to ground.

When the SJB receives a request for a turn signal or hazard lamps, the SJB supplies voltage to the appropriate turn lamps.

Normal Operation — Fusion

When the smart junction box (SJB) detects the multifunction switch in the LH TURN position, the SJB sends voltage through circuit CLS21 (BU/GN) to the LH front turn lamp. When the SJB detects the multifunction switch in the RH TURN position, the SJB sends voltage through circuit CLS25 (YE/VT) to the RH front turn lamp. Circuit GD123 (BK/GY) and circuit GD121 (BK/YE) provide ground for the LH and RH front turn lamps, respectively. The rear turn lamps are controlled utilizing the rear stoplamp circuits.

Possible Causes

• Circuit CLS18 (GY/BN) open, short to ground or voltage
  • Circuit CLS19 (VT/OG) open, short to ground or voltage
  • Circuit CLS21 (BU/GN) open, short to ground or voltage
  • Circuit CLS25 (YE/VT) open, short to ground or voltage
  • Circuit GD121 (BK/YE) open
  • Circuit GD123 (BK/GY) open
  • Circuit GD171 (BK/GY) open
  • SJB

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Shawn,

Thanks for the information. I would be glad for you to send me the test procedures and replacement instructions for the SJB. (Is that the same kind of "smart" as the "Smart" car? Like, not too?
Stephen

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The test procedures are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Turn Signal and Hazard Lamp Test Procedures Click Here

Before replacing the SJB it will need to upload the module configuration information, in your case it may only need to be reconfigured.

Programmable Module Installation (PMI) Information Click here

Smart Junction Box (SJB) Replacement Instructions Click Here