George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

2007 ford: pcm went out and we bought a new one...when

can i ask a question about a 2007 ford fusion . the pcm went out and we bought a new one from ford .when we went to pick up the car they had a cost for an additional key which they said was necessary to program the pcm. when we bought the car we only received one key. we bought it used from them. is the extra key necessary to program the computer and why? thank you
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Ford has for years built their security system around having two keys to program to the PCM. Anytime part of the security system is replaced two keys must be learned to the system or it will not allow it to be programmed to start the car.

One of the quirks of programming Fords but it is a legitimate charge as long as they provided both keys to you.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is it fords policy to issue two keys when a person purches a used car

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

I doubt there is any policy when you purchase a used car, that would be decided at the time of the sale.

How much did they charge for a key?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

110.00

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

$110 is about average for a key to be cut and programmed, I have seen $145 down to $75 so you are in the middle.

If you just purchased this vehicle from this dealer I would be speaking with the used car manager about the key situation. If this was a rental it is common for the rental company to retain the extra key when the vehicle is sold.

Please let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you