Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

2001 Ford Escape: suv having a rough idle..few minutes..drove..hill

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Ford Escape. 3.0 engine....Sometime back we had an issue with the suv having a rough idle when it was cold....but just after a few minutes of running it would run just fine...we asked a mechanic on here about the problem and he suggested intake gaskets. We replaced them and fixed the problem...the suv has ran good up until now...now at a idle...and it don't do it all the time...it feels like it skips every now and then....you can raise the rpm's up a small amount...maybe 100 over the idle rpm and it doesn't do it...I was thinking plugs...maybe coil packs...but I drove the car tonight...put it in a strain on some hill's and it never skipped one bit....and it doesn' do it at any other times except at an idle...if you raise the rpm's up any at all over the idle..it will not skip...this rules out fuel...plugs or coil packs to me....any idea what this may be ? The suv has a good idle...does not miss...but every now and then...it has this skip....enough to make the rpm needle jump....
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The other Experts and I are working on your answer.

By the way, it would help us to know:

-Is the check light illuminated?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes...the check engine light is on....however...it has been on for the last 60,000 miles....I had the code checked and it stated the EGR pressure was low....changed a filter that was close to the egr...was told this filter was a common problem with these 3.0 engines...however...it did not fix the low pressure problem.....the car has ran fine for the last 60,000 with the engine light on....it just started this cutting out recently...it's never done this before until now...it's like a coil pack is skipping...and it does it at random...not back to back....but raise the idle a small amout...and it will not do it
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Ford Motor Company in regards XX XXXX subject, If you need, I can send you a copy of the TSB.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please send me a copy or the link so I can check it out. Is this a recall from Ford ?
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

No recall.

Thanks for the reply.

Pleases give me a few moments to upload the info for you.

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The TSB is below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Click Here For TSB

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Please understand, the information I am sending you is not available to the public, and is very costly.

Also keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please make sure that I may get credit for my work. If you need more help let me know.