AlvinC
AlvinC, Ford Technician
Experience:  With Ford 20+years as Dealership Technician Ford Senior Master Technician Gas and Diesel
10384837

2000 ford ranger: v6....the..new ignition key.. once i insert

Customer Question

Helllo

I currently have a 2000 ford ranger v6 4x2

i am going to change the ignition cylinder tommorow on the truck..

the question is how can i program the new ignition key.. once i insert the new ignition cylinder
Category: Ford
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Hi this is Al, Do you have 2 original keys for the truck? Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have 1 original key for the old cylinder .. and i have 2 new ones that comes with the ignition cylinder that i will be installing
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to say if you only have 1 original key to program the new PATS keys you will need to have your dealer program them using The Ford IDS scan tool. The tool has to be hooked up up to the truck and it will require a 10 minute wait before it will allow you to access the the PATS system to program the new keys, Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How about if i had the 2 Ignition Key for the old cylinder
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
If you had 2 original keys you would need to have a key cut for the new cylinder without the PATS chip ( the old style key with a small head). Install the new cylinder remove the shroud from around the steering column. Then using the cut key turn the key on holding 1 of the original key close to the black plastic ring around the cylinder turn the key off then do the same with the second key then turn the key off remove it and put in one of the new keys turn it on for 3 seconds turn the key off then the same with the second new key. This should program your new keys. It requires 2 keys to enter customer programming mode, Al