Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.

2000 ford explorer: sohc..due to tapping sound coming..garage

Was informed by another ford tech that my cassettes and primary chain tensioner may need to be replaced on 2000 ford explorer sohc engine due to tapping sound coming from under engine. Would this be under 1,000 to fix at a garage?

Hello my name isXXXXX if the timing chain in the rear of the engine needs replaced also, the engine must come out, here are all the prices of the chains, there are 4 total along with possible guides as well and then figure another 100 for gaskets, labor is around 12-14 hours, at 100 dollars an hour, this repair would easily go over the 1000 dollar mark. Any more questions just ask, thanks Steve W

Timing Chain
Timing Chain
20 - Jackshaft to Cam
20 - Crank to Balance Shaft
20 - Crank to Jackshaft
20 - Rear
Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard
Jackshaft Chain
To R&R Left Cassette, Add
To R&R Balance Shaft Chain, Add
To R&R Right Cassette, Add
Includes: R & I Engine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Steve. Would it be best to replace all at the same time. Will they all just eventually fail? Could an independent shop be able to do this type of repair or are you better off having Ford do this.
We usually do them all, if one is worn, you can bet the others are not too far behind. An independant shop can do this repair, however it takes a bunch of cam holding tools to do this since there are no keyways to line up, every dealer has these tools and we do these from time to time, any more questions just ask, thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for that Steve. I bought the vehicle about a year ago. I know it is 12 years old but it only has 81,000 original miles on it and it looks and rides brand new. Do you think it is worth fixing? Is the SOHC engine gonna hold up another couple of years or can i expect a bunch of other costly repairs associated with this engine. Had a 94 explorer (box style) for over a decade and logged close to 300,000 miles, it never quit man!!! Wish i still had it, that thing was rusted in half and still ran like a champ!!
Once the timing chains and guides are fixed this engine will run for a long time, mine has 250000 miles on it. I think it would definately be worth the repair, better than a new car payment, lol. Any more questions just ask, thanks Steve W