AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2004 ford ranger: starting problem..It cranks but wont start...fail

2004 ford ranger has intermitent starting problem. It cranks but won't start. I took ti to amechanic, it would not fail for him . he tried starting multiple times and it started right away, he said there was nothing he could do. I got it back and it started fine for more than a week, 4or5 times a day. Put gas in it today and drove to the store, when I came out it would not start. Can any body help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

When your car is cranking over and is not starting, we will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The problem is that I don;t have those tools. When I took it to the mechanic, because it is so intermitent, it would not fail for him. Does it do any good to do these test if it is not failing?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
No.. but at least now YOU know what to check for when this problem happen again. If you don't have the tools, you can tell your mechanic what to check for. You can print this out and keep it in your vehicle when the problem happens again.
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector