Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000

2005 f150: rear brake..removed the caliper but can not remove the drum

how do I remove the rear brake drum on 2005 f150, I have removed the caliper but can not remove the drum?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I will try to help. Make sure the Emergency brake is all the way slack, and you can turn the rotor. If you can turn the rotor, then it is free, Make sure nothing is holding the rotor to the hub, like a small metal tab on the lug nuts, or a set screw on the rotor to the axle flange. If so, remove them, You will then need a good size ball peen hammer to smack the rotor inbetween the lug studs, The rotor will rust and seize on the axle flange, spray it with WD 40 around the axle flange and give it a few solid good hits with a good size hammer and it should free it up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the brake is completly off and I sprayed wd40 around the hub but still can not pull the rotor off

Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.
This is on the rear correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.
the rotor loose at all on the axle hub?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can turn it but can't pull it off
Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.
OK. give it a few hard whacks right in the middle of the lug studs, it's seized on the axle flange. If you plan on replacing or turning the rotors, then hit it where the pads ride on the rotor.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.
Did you get it freed up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I used a block of wood on the rotor and it finally came off, Thank You

Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.
Those things can be a pain. sand the rotor and rub, and use anti-seize on it when you put it back on, usually that makes them a little easier to get off. Thank you.