Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.

2000 ford expedition: hen would not start so changed the fuel pump

Customer Question

I have a 2000 ford expedition and it died and hen would not start so changed the fuel pump and still will not start is there anything else that chould be the problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
There are many reasons that could lead to a no start condition.
First of all you should determine what is missing : Spark or Fuel.
Check for spark while the engine is cranked with an old spark plug or tester.
If you get spark, then make sure your fuel pump works ( you can hear it) and it is a good idea to check for fuel pressure ( 55-65PSI) .
If you fuel pump does not work, then it could be a wiring issue or faulty relay or inertia switch.
If you get no spark, it could also be a wiring issue or crankshaft position sensor ( very unlikely)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was running and just died suddenly and we changed the fuel pump and i is working could it still be a relay and where is the relay or the inertia and what does the inertia do
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
The Inertia switch is located on RH front side , near the kick panel passenger foot area).
The switch will interrupt power to the fuel pump in case of an accident or any impact.
The fuel pump relay is located inside the underhood power distribution box.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will that keep the fuel pump from kicking on the fuel pump is kicking on and running 3 to 5 seconds and kicks off do you have to reset anything to get it to start after changing the fuel pump
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did my last reply come thur
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
No, this switch wouldn't act this way. The switch will interrupt power to the fuel pump till you reset it ( by pressing the reste button on the top of the switch)
There is nothing to reset after changing the fuel pump.
When you turn the ignition ON, you fuel pump should run for couple of seconds and when Off. When you crank your engine, the fuel pump should be ON as long as the engine is cranked.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
could there be air in the lines or does it need to be craked for awhile so it will pick up the gas
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
No, there is no need to bleed the system.
The fuel pump is pretty powerful to supply fuel to the injectors. All you need to do after servicing the fuel system ( replacing fuel pump or filter, removing injectors, etc) is to turn the ignition key ON -OFF several times just to prime the system.
Was it a genuine fuel pump? If not, maybe it is just weak and does not supply enough fuel?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks will check the spark if lost park could that happen while it was running
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
If you have no spark, your fuel pump usually will not run as the powertrain control module does no see that the engine is turning and does not actuate the fuel pump relay.
let me know if I can help you more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks cannot think of anything elese to check so may be bad fuel pump and not enough fuel pressure
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
Ok, let me know about your findings.
See you later.