GTSteve054
GTSteve054, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master technician, 19yrs experience
64979401

2007 f150: fan speed..operates../vent bar shaped switch..switches

How difficult a fix for a fan speed switch on a 2007 f150 XL. Fan only operates on highest position of switch, heat or air conditioning. Other problem: Combo Air-conditioning/vent bar shaped switch with 2 lights seems frozen in the "lights on" position...what's the fix on that.
Just new switches in both cases? Air-conditioning and heater are working.

GTSteve054 :

Hello. The fan speed issue is most likely not the switch, but rather the blower motor resistor. There is a resistor card in the heater plenum that controls voltage to the blower motor. Its not difficult to change. Not sure what the other switch is. The hvac switch next to the fan speed?

Customer:

Thanks for the resistor help, I'll check it out. The other switch is for air on/off and vent on/off w/lights either end. Long bar shaped switch next to fan speed switch. It doesn't seem to move in or out when you push it and the lights are always on.

GTSteve054 :

Ok, ya. That would be the switch itself. Have replaced a few of them. Also pretty easy. You are aware of the resistor cards location, near the blower motor? There is 2 screws holding into the box. Remove it before you get a new one. You will now right away by looking at it if its bad. They usually have a burnt spot or are corroded up.

GTSteve054 :

Didn't get a response, chat window seems to be working crazy slow today

Customer:

So the blower motor is in the cab under dashboard and not the engine bay, right? And if resistor is blown then replace with a new one on a new card. Resistor doesn't come without it's card I take it. This is a truck I just bought after a test drive and will bring it home tomorrow. Thank you for the instant help, a huge help. What's a great place to get my parts online, or should I stick to a local dealer in my town. I'm typing slow too, since I'm thinking about all of it....sorry.

GTSteve054 :

Thats quite alright. Yes, blower motor is under rh side of dash, easy to find. The resistor i call a card, because it looks like a credit card with a connector on it. Black connector with 4 wires. Blk, Yellow w/red, Dark bluew/white, and Brown w/white are the wire colors.

GTSteve054 :

Not sure if the resistor is available aftermarket or not.

Customer:

Fantastic help, thank you.

Customer:

So dealer only.

GTSteve054 :

Are you getting this truck from a dealer?

Customer:

I did. A Chevy dealer.

Customer:

It's a high miles truck, commercial unit, but car fax and condition of truck made

GTSteve054 :

Ok. May want to look into the ac switch that dont work though. I think that may be part of the module, and could be pricey.

Customer:

it a fairly cheap buy. Just what I need for my needs.

GTSteve054 :

5.4 in aXXXXX...sleeper. lol. extended cab?

Customer:

yep

Customer:

very clean

Customer:

I'll cap it w/racks for a porta-bote and pull my pop up camper no pro

GTSteve054 :

Perfect for that duty.

Customer:

yeah, it's better than a beater and I want it for camping/boating

Customer:

locally. Not bad for 6.5K I thought, high miles and all

GTSteve054 :

definately dont want to tow with a beater

GTSteve054 :

Not bad at all.

Customer:

No, it's got new brakes too

Customer:

So the module is right there and the on/off switch is a part of it. How pricey?

GTSteve054 :

I'm sure you looked it all over. Coming from a dealer, they did too. They dont want to sell a boomerang. We don't like when they come back right away.

Customer:

Well I can look it up

Customer:

It's certified but without warranty. I looked it over, drove the city and at

Customer:

highway speed, Solid truck.

Customer:

They did the certification check list is what I mean, but it's over 100k

Customer:

miles.

GTSteve054 :

From what i see and remember, ya, part of the hvac module. Not sure on price because there are a few different ones. Being an XL, its one of the cheaper ones though.

GTSteve054 :

Miles dont mean what they used to. We work on cars and trucks every day with over 100k on them.

Customer:

that's good. That's why I wanted the XL, to keep it simple. It's not my every day vehicle...just when I need a truck.

GTSteve054 :

Yep, less things to break.

Customer:

My brothers got a Toyota truck with 300K, and it's got to be pushing 20 years old.

GTSteve054 :

Not that the switch is a problem, just might be cheaper for you to have fixed before you take delivery as they can replace it for their price.

Customer:

He bought it new. So, I'm brand new to this service. I can "accept" here and I pay or I can continue to follow up on this issue some more as I get my parts?

Customer:

Oh, OK.

GTSteve054 :

You accept if you feel your question was anwered correctly. You can always contact me again using this thread if a question arises.

GTSteve054 :

Good luck, and enjoy the great outdoors!

Customer:

I'll talk to their service dept. tomorrow. Thanks Steve, excellent help.