Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

how to increase idle speed on a explorer 4.0 engine

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 5 years ago.
Hello, the idle speed is controlled by the pcm and is not adjustable manually. What problem are you having? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Engine idles so slowly that when I start out the accelerator surges forward hurting your neck. Also shuts off at stoplights, etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please credit my $29 back. The answer was not satisfactory.

Larry
This usually means the throttle body is dirty and needs to be cleaned. This is the part right where the black tube from the air filter housing connects to the engine. There is a butterfly type flap on there that gets carbon buildup on it and in the housing where it closes. This causes the flap to stick and the symptoms you are having. You can clean this with throttle body cleaner and a soft brush like an old tooth brush and some rags. Clean the flap and the housing of all carbon buildup. Be sure and hold the flap open with your fingers to clean both sides of it and the housing. After this, disconnect the battery for a few minutes to allow the computer to reset. The cleaner is available from any autoparts or even Walmart. Let me know how it turns out. Thanks
Sorry it took so long, I had to reboot my terminal. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If it works I will pay you and even tip, but I am not satisfied yet. Thanks. Larry
As stated in the response, let me know how it turns out. If needed, we will continue with more diagnostics if needed. Also if we do have to go further with this, I will need the first 10 digits of the vin number to identify exactly what emissions are on your vehicle. Thanks