Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

2005 Ford Taurus: Diagnostic check..new catalytic converter..muffler

My 2005 Ford Taurus Diagnostic check tells me that I need a new catalytic converter. I took it to a muffler shop and he is telling me he will put the front ones on if I can bring in the catalytic converter. I'm trying to find a California Approved catalytic converter and can't find one anywhere but the ford dealership. Which costs a crazy $1800. Is there anywhere else I can buy one?

greetings,

what are the codes? what engine do you have? DOHC or OHV?

are you replacing all 3 cats?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The Muffler guy said we could start with the front 2. I can't remember the codes but they both told me it was the catalytic when I told neither one what the problem was. I have the U in my vin number so I don't know whether it is DOHC or OHV.
U is the OHV engine. I found front cats for about 275$ and the rear for 140$(discount catalytic converters). Ford OEM stuff does cost a lot so my dealer does get after market cats for customers. We get them shipped and install . If you have a failed cat from a broken element you can bang the suspected cat and we will know which is needed. If you can get the codes it will help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
These cats you found for that price are California approved?
are you in California? let me check

I found another company that says California compliant

slightly higher 344$ and 303$

Catco catalytic converters

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know where you are finding these cats? I have searched everywhere and no one has California compliant cats. Where can I go to find these?

California legal catalytic converters

(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already called them....I don't think there is anyone that has these dang cats california approved for my car.
I am in NY, we do have emissions tests here. I knew it was tough in California, harder to get cats than I thought. I work today and will ask the owner of this shop, he has a lot of parts connections.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cool, thanks!!!

You can try eastern catalytic, says they have California compliant

215.702.3600