Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2005 Ford Explorer: Check Charging System..warning light..jsut flicker

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer. For several months now the "Check Charging System" warning light will come on as well as a very annoying warning beep. This warning will either stay on for an extended period of time or jsut flicker on and off rapidly. I have had both the battery and alternator checked and they are both fine. I took it into a Car-X location where they kept it in the shope with a monitor on it whle they turned on every system, turned off every system, jiggled wires looking for shorts and could not get it to signal a fault. I have yet to determine ANY sort of rhyme or reason as to when the warning comes on. The one thing I HAVE noticed is that it rarely does it when the vehicle is stationary. PLEASE...any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is Ron and I am here to try and assist your with your question.

In most cases if the Check Charging System light is coming on it is usually caused by a failing alternator and usually when this happens the alternator charges just fine and usually test just fine as well. The charging system rate is controlled by the PCM Computer) but its rare for the PCM to be the source of the problem. When replacing the alternator , it best to install the factory OE Ford alternator because the after market units do not perform well on the computer controlled systems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The alternator was installed by a Ford dealer. I'm HOPING it's not the computer as I don't know if I want to sink that much money into it. Is there anything else that could be causing it?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
In most cases it is the alternator and if they just installed it its very likely just defective. Its very rare for the PCM to fail and cause the light to come on. Have them recheck the new alternator and also run a scan on the PCM . There really isnt much else that can cause this as long as the connections to it are clean and tight.