Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic with over 30 years experience with N.Y.P.D. fleet service division
1699649

2002 Ford windstar: po171..p0174..are the codes given on my van

Customer Question

2002 Ford windstar po171,P1336,P0402,P0174, P0300 These are the codes given on my van. Where do I start and is it worth it , 185000 miles
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.

Jerry : he p0171and 0174 are indicating the engine is running lean,not enough fuel, or to much air. This can be caused by a vacuum leak,or low fuel pressure. The p0300 indicates a misfire, the p0402 is for too much EGR flow. A sticking open EGR can be the cause of all these codes, so that needs to be addressed
Jerry : The p1336 is indicating a cam position sensor out of sync. Since you have high mileage on your vehicle, I suggest that the timing chain be check for to much play. As for is it worth fixing , if the truck is in general good condition, even in the worst case where you need a timing chain and gears and possibly intake manifold gaskets, the cost would be around 1200. 00. In my opinion it is worth repairing.
Customer:

And these things would cause the van to go dead driving down the road and will not crank again?

Jerry : Not cranking means the engine doesn't spin over when you turn the key to the start position. Not starting up means the engine spins over but won't run. Is that what happened to your vehicle?
Customer:

not starting up

Jerry : Was the check engine light on or coming on before the problem of it not starting happened?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My check engine light has been on since an earlier repair and I did not have the 50.00 they wanted to reset it.

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
All the other codes may have been stored in the vehicles computer because of the previous problems.The p1336 , cam sensor out of sync, would be the one that is causing the engine not to start. With 185k miles it is likely due to the timing chain jumping a tooth .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is this something we can do at home, how difficult is it to replace timing chain and gears. My husband is used to working on older cars and he has a friend that helps with minor repairs on the van. Is there a online site that I can print out instruction to guide them. We really do not have the funds to pay a mechanic?
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Hi, you could get an online manual from www.alldatadiy.com for your truck if you wanted to do the repairs, it costs 30.00 The engine needs to be lifted 5 inches in order to gain clearance to remove the timing cover.so some type of engine lift will be needed. The time in the labor guide for this job is over 15 hours, so as you can tell it is not an easy job to attempt at home.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you

You have been very helpful, much better than the shop it spent a week in. We appreciate your help.

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
thanks for using Just Answer, best of luck,Jerry.