Shawn E
Shawn E, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  23 Years with Ford, 12 Year Ford Senior Master, ASE Master.
22388146

f150: my 06..horrible grinding noise..I slow down it will clunk real

my 06 f150 is making a horrible grinding noise and then when I slow down it will clunk real hard, this happened yesterday, so I locked it into 4 hi and it stoped.. I assume the hubs are tring to lock in by them selves what should I check first, I am a 19 year seasoned heavy duty mechanic, not too familure with the automotive world

CATMANDO
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your question.

The most common cause of this is the 4x4 vacuum solenoid goes bad. If these hubs do not have vacuum they try to lock in. If you have a leak or poor vacuum they will engage partially which causes the grind noise. Start by checking for a vacuum leak in the system if none replace that solenoid.

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, if you need further assistance please ask.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and Bonuses are appreciated. Thank you, Shawn.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is th vacuum solinoid located?