Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
9447945

f250: turbo..once trucks..full temp + even less power pulling trailer

05 6.0 f250 lacks turbo psi once trucks at full temp + even less power pulling trailer. psi in and out. What could be problem?
Hi there. Any check engine light? Does the exhaust have smoke comic.g from it? If so what color? Did this happen after the Egr delete or programmer? How many miles on the truck? And major repairs done to the truck previously? Thanks Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Steve just to let you know more recent things done to my truck. The Unison ring in Turbo was cleaned, Transmission was rebuilt, new transfer case,egr delete.
Auto place tells me a o ring may be letting oil pass through as oil gets thin. would this cause turbo to act up?
They mus. t be talking about a high pressure oil system o ring. Almost all the times that anything goes wrong with the high pressure system the truck will have starting issues......not lack of power. i was thinking it may have sounded like a turbo concern but you indicate it has already been cleaned out.it may be as easy as a.EGR vlave concern it a valve goes bad it will definetly lose power because it is basically a turbo boost leak
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Steve the egr is deleted. Truck used to blow black smoke with it.Truck runs better without it but does not blow black smoke anymore.Truck runs better when colder outside. When warmer outside turbo loses power psi in and out.Turbo mostly dont kick in between 40 and 50 mph when hot.The hotter the truck worse it runs. Cooler days runs good for a long time.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Steve the egr is deleted. Truck used to blow black smoke with it.Truck runs better without it but does not blow black smoke anymore.Truck runs better when colder outside. When warmer outside turbo loses power psi in and out.Turbo mostly dont kick in between 40 and 50 mph when hot.The hotter the truck worse it runs. Cooler days runs good for a long time. It has 185000 miles and all this was hapening before egr delete and there was a programer in truck before.
Ok. With that amount of miles what did the inside of the turbo look like you could have had it cleaned but there could be tolerances that are not with in specs that cleaning will not fix. And as far as the Egr delete....you only have the cooler deleted right? Or did you find a kit that also deleted the actual Egr valve also? Does the truck run rough when this occurs or does it just lack power?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont know what the inside of turbo looked like I would have to ask shop. yes I had a used welded egr cooler put in it. Does this mean the egr valve still would work? Truck just lacks power when accurs.
Yes the valve will still regulate air in the intake. you just have eliminated the cooling part of the system. So it could still be an intake concern. The turbo could have troubles but the shop should have been able to see that when they had it dismantled. Thanks Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ya Steve guy at shop says had scanner on turbo and it seems fine. I drove truck 100 miles last night and it ran like new. Today ran bad in morning good in after noon. maybe its time to start looking for new truck. Its a money pit. Thanks for your help Joe
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no check engine light or smoke since I deleted egr
Yes the 6.0 liter sure is that for a lot of people. It may be worth it to atleast pull out the EGR valve and take a look at the orings and see if there is excessive carbon on the moving part of the valve. Thanks steve