Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

2007 ford: engine light..checked fluid seemed ok.

Customer Question

2007 ford fusion engine light on . idea what it could-be? checked fluid seemed ok. temp gauge only goes 3/4 of the way to the 1/2 way point. Thermostat or sensor? Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

Greetings,

Most parts stores will scan for free. If you can get the vehicle scanned and let me know the code or codes we will have some diagnostic direction. It could be as simple as a evap emissions codes like a small leak(very common) loose/leaking gas cap

let me know what engine, 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder and how many miles

good luck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok ill do that tomorrow a.m. the carparts store closes at 5 pm here in Pa.
The light came on 3 pm this afternoon. 2007 Fusion 4 cyl.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The 2007 Fusion has 47,000 miles.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

as long as the fluids are full and clean and the engine runs good you should be fine to drive to a parts store. They usually have basic function scanners that will pull engine and transmissions codes. I like the 4 cylinder in the fusion better than the 6 cylinder.

I will check for any TSB(technical service bulletins)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok when I get the code I'll get back to you. Seems fine doesn't smell so we'll see.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

great, p0456,p0457 could lead to a bad gas cap in the diagnostic process. This would be the type of issue you would never know if not for the check engine light.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here Autozone is open & got the code. P0128. He said it coul be wet from the rain or the sensor. He also works at Car Dealerships & said to take it to them rather then get the part from Autozone that it would void the warranty.???
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

ok, code p0128 could be a thermostat or coolant temp sensor. Just make sure there are no leaks, low coolant could cause this code too.

I did see recently 2 fusions with 4 cylinders get the thermostat replaced for a code, not sure of the code but it did fix the issue.

I would go to the dealer anyway, you are out of basic 3/36.

I have also seen codes set for temp out of threshold on GM vehicles, seems common on newer vehicles for thermostats to set a code like this.

good luck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
While sitting at the light the gauge went to the 1/2 way point. When I started going for a short distance the gauge dropped again. I never seen that movement in the gauge but then again I wasnt starring at the gauge like I am now. Mike
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

could be a sticking thermostat. I did also just see a fusion for a water pump noise.

This thermostat is a pain to do

Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience: 30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Someone told me some of the thermostats for the part alone is over $100. I can only imagine what it's gonna be at the dealership! Ha! Thanks again.. My A/C isn't cooling & a friend of mine said its probably a $50 sensor. The only thing is they need to remove the dash to get to that sensor & that's over $1200 because of a dumb location for a sensor. I told him it was a good location..$$ ha! Thanks again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Howuch is it you think to get it done at the dealer?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

The dealer could get 2-2.5 hrs labor for the thermostat. Let me know if this has manual or auto climate control. I would start with making sure the a/c system is full with freon. I have seen many with poor or no a/c due to leaks. with the R134a in the systems it does not take much to leak out. Sops can check with a black light, ford has installed dye in the systems for some time.

you are welcome

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Funny you mention A/C. I believe in late Aug mine stopped working. Went on a forum & a mechanic said the sensor for the A/C is known to ho on the 07 Fusion& the. Sensor is a$50 part & they need to remove the dash... Total cost over $1,000! A quote for the thermostat I got was $275.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

I checked for bulletins and did not see anything in regards to a sensor. I do see a evap discharge temp sensor that does require the dash to come off. I have not seen any sensor issues, have done a few compressors and O rings/seals.