Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master certified tech and instructor.
14457476

2002 Ford Windstar: was fixing the abs module

Customer Question

Ford dealership was fixing the ABS module on my 2002 Ford Windstar. When I picked it up, the cruise control was not working. Could the repair on the ABS have affected the cruise control?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 2 years ago.

transmen :

Hi, is the abs working now?

JACUSTOMER-0ncv7akq- :

So, far the light has not come back on so I assume that it is working.

JACUSTOMER-0ncv7akq- :

I have to pull up your answer. Sorry. I have not done that yet.

transmen :

ok the abs should not affect the cruise control but it may have being disconected during the testing of the abs operation.

Customer:

How would it get disconnected?

transmen :

some times you have to disconect some components to be able to test another.

Customer:

So, they have to go back in and hook it back up and it should work again?

transmen :

in the process of testing the tech forgets to reconect all the conectors

Customer:

The same module does not control ABS and Cruise Control?

transmen :

yes they do.

Customer:

Oh. okay. When I called back to dealership, they said that the repairs were unrelated.

Customer:

Not trying to be a difficult customer but I don't want to feel stupid when I talk to them tomorrow.

Customer:

So, they have to reconnect cruise control to the module and separately reconnect the ABS to the module?

transmen :

the problem is unrelated they are right but in the process of diagnosing the module had to be disconected and is posible they left it disconected.

transmen :

they have to make sure it is conected.

Customer:

Okay. Good enough. At least, I feel like I can hold a semi-intelligent conversation. Glad I found this service.

transmen :

you have to get serious with them and tell them the cruise control was working before they fix the abs system.

Customer:

I have told them in writing today when I dropped car off and called them within 10 minutes of leaving dealership and have the names of the two guys I spoke with.

Customer:

Also, I e-mailed owner of the dealership last night.

Customer:

They did a full tune up too and check engine light came on today. So, they have a lot to correct to make me a satisfied customer.

transmen :

there you go, that is enough to know they done somenthing wrong.

transmen :

if the engine light when on this may be related to the cruise control.

Customer:

But, yesterday, they tried to baffle me with their BS. And I wanted to feel more intelligent talking to them tomorrow.

Customer:

I was blunt in my written correspondence and questioned the quality of work done. Told them I wanted to speak with them first thing about plan for correcting problems. Especially since the cruise control was working when I brought it in.

transmen :

if you stay strung with them they will have no choise but to fix what they have done.

Customer:

With a little more confidence, I will be fine. Not going to give up until I am satisfied that all problems are fixed.

Customer:

Thanks for letting me know I am not crazy or just hysterical female. That is how guy on the phone tried to make me feel yesterday afternoon.

Customer:

"it's okay miss . . . just drive it and see how it goes."

transmen :

yes there is no reason why the engine light is on after work was done by them , this should have been corrected before the car was return to you.

Customer:

Good deal. Have a blessed Sunday!!!

transmen :

this car should have been road tested by them before rileasing it to you.

Customer:

They "claim" they road tested it. No way. Dealership is on theXXXXXwhere speed limit is 60MPH. It took me 2 miles to know cruise control was not working.

transmen :

dont worry stay strung and let them know they have to fix it for you or you will report them to motor vehicles.

transmen :

thats somenthing they dont want to here.

Customer:

Exactly. I am going to click "accept" and I really appreciate your time. Gave me some peace of mind. I am on my own to do these things.

Ricardo Hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ase master certified tech and instructor.