BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/Service Manager
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

How to remove musty smell from car vents

Category: Ford
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.

BigBob :

Greetings and welcome to just answer!!!!!

Customer:

Please give me advice on removing a musty odor from my car's vents.

BigBob :

Usually this is mold that builds up on the ac evaporator. You will need to get a spray that kills off mold. They make MANY different brands to do this. Click here to see the brand I use, but these are only sold through shops, but most auto parts stores carry similar items. Also make sure the ac drain is not clogged up causing this.

Customer:

How do I check for the AC drain clog?

BigBob :

When the ac is on you should see condensation on a warm day dripping out by the firewall, if not the drain could be plugged up. I do not have a picture, but there is either a hose or tube where the condensation is supposed to come out. You're not getting any water in the vehicle are you?

Customer:

No water is coming into the vehicle.

Customer:

Assuming the AC drain is clogged, how do I unclog it?

BigBob :

Use a coat hanger or some loose wire.

Customer:

OK. Getting back to using the cleaner for the A/C condenser, since what you suggested is not available to me, what product can I buy at an Auto Parts store?

BigBob :

Sometimes you will have to pull the interior covers to clean it out. Let me check on that chemical.

Customer:

OK. I await your answer on the product I can buy. With regard to pulling interior covers, how do I do that on this car?

BigBob :

Napa stores carry them and so does all the major stores. They do not show it on their website, but print out the one I showed you and they will know what you need. I will have to check on the procedure for removing that if you run into that, i have to get back to work. If the spray does not work just get back to me here and I will look for the removal procedure.

Customer:

So do I have to pay you again, or will my $29 still apply?

BigBob :

Thanks

BigBob :

no you will not have to pay again, after accepting just respond to me here.

Customer:

So I should not click on "Accept" at this time--correct?

BigBob :

You can click on it now. this thread will always be open until I close it, just respond straight here and it will come to me.

Customer:

OK. thanks.

BigBob :

No problem!!!