Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

1993 bronco: sensor located..5.0 4wd automatic, Electric 4wd..cruise

Customer Question

Where is the Vehicle speed sensor located on my 1993 Bronco 5.0 4wd automatic, Electric 4wd with cruise?
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is located on the rear axle housing.

graphic

OPERATION
The PSOM receives a vehicle speed signal from the Differential Speed Sensor (DSS) on pin 4 DSS input, and pin 5 DSS return. It converts this signal to a standard 8000 pulses-per-mile speed signal output. This output signal is sent to the PCM on pin 3 PSOM (+) and pin 6 PSOM (-).

The PSOM receives two power supply inputs. Pin 1 receives a continuous 12.0 volt input while pin 2 receives a 12.0 volt input only when the ignition switch is in run.

RELATED DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES

DTC 29/452 PCM detected an error in the PSOM output signal.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is the part I replaced, not the part labled as VSS at any parts catalog. The when we search for the VSS a totaly different part comes up at all locations. I can drive in reverse and the speedometer works fine. When I put it in drive the speedometer will not start until I get to about 25mph and will not work until I take my foot off the accelerator. Then if i touch the accelerator the needle will drop straight to 0. When I get into works fine in 1rst & 2nd, but when I get into drive engine rpm goes up and trys to shift up and down.
Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.

I will opt out so another expert can help you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks for trying. I also get a 628 code KOEO. This started about two weeks ago and got to the point I can't drive it. This is the part when I search for VSS. Where does this go?

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still waiting for an answer.
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

greetings,

new expert. Looks like the VSS you have goes in line on the speedo cable. If you are having issues with the speedometer acting up the cable can fail/get dry and bind. I remember being able to grease the cables when they started bouncing, even had a tool to grease it without disconnecting it from the instrument cluster head.

The VSS could also be mounted in the rear of the transfer case.

they show 2 instrument cluster set ups, electronic and old style with cable.

let me know what you find

good luck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This Bronco is electric instruments. I am not sure I need the part pictured,
but that is what comes up as the VSS.
More findings: My speedo works fine in neutral, coasting,
Or in reverse.
just when I put it in gear the needle drops like a hammer and when I come
out of 2nd into drive the tranny shifts up and down and raps up and down.
I thought maybe the linkage positioning sensor may have something to do with it.

I put it in 4wd and same results. Transmiton was serviced, flushed and filter less than 5000 miles back.
I'm cleared codes, then drove it, KOEO 452 only code.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

greetings,

If the cluster speedo is electronic then the VSS is different and mounts in the transfer case. you will get the codes if the signal is lost. It could be the gear is slipping or is damaged. I am try to find a picture, hard with vehicles older than 10 years.

The code 452 is for the VSS, could be a harness/wire issue too.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

should look like this

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry I have not been more available today. I needed to move my son. This is very helpful and I will try to find the sensor. This looks like the 92 model. I looked at this part at Autozone, but it looks like the round end above the elec plug is for a cable and I do not have a cable driven speedo. This truck has a plate on the door that it was manufactured in 92 and titled as a 93. When I search for the 92 VSS this is a choice. Any ideas as to the location on the transfer case? The only wiring I find is for the 4wd switch. I will look more tomorrow.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.
says at the rear of the transfer case. I remember see this style in the side of the trans on ford products with the connector and no cable, probably not 4x4. Been a while working on full size broncos