Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Ford Explorer 4x4: 97 explorer,wont start when hot. Starter

97 explorer,wont start when hot.
Starter turns over ok just sputters.
After about 1/2 hour of cool down,it stricrarts.What do you think,Coil?
Patrick
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

the two most common causes are fuel pump overheating and shutting down and coil overheating and shutting down.

You need to determine which is lost - spark or fuel. To do this, next time it wont start after engine is hot, spray some starting fluid into the throttle body and try to start it. If it starts and runs for a few seconds, then replace fuel pump. If no difference, replace coil

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have to drop the fuel tank to change the fuel pump or is there access thru the floor boards?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

you have to drop the tank for this:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and relieve the fuel system pressure.
  2. Siphon or pump as much fuel as possible out through the fuel filler pipe.

Fuel injected vehicles have reservoirs inside the fuel tank to maintain fuel near the fuel pick-up during cornering or low-fuel operation. These reservoirs could block siphon hoses or tubes from reaching the bottom of the fuel tank. Repeated attempts, using different hose orientations, can overcome this obstacle.

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. If equipped, remove the skid plate attaching bolts, then lower the plate and remove it.

On Explorer/Mountaineer models, the front fuel tank strap is bolted to the skid plate and will be disconnected when the plate is removed.

1. Disconnect the fuel fill and vent hoses connecting the filler pipe to the tank.
  2. On vehicles equipped with a metal retainer fastening the filler pipe to the fuel tank, remove the screw holding the retainer to the fuel tank flange.
  3. Disengage the fuel lines and the electrical connections to the fuel tank sending unit/fuel pump assembly. On some vehicles, these are inaccessible on top of the tank. In this case, they must be disconnected when the tank is partially lowered.
  4. Place a safety support (such as a floor jack) under the fuel tank and remove the bolts from the fuel tank straps. Allow the straps to swing out of the way. Be careful not to deform the fuel tank.

On Ranger vehicles, the rear fuel tank strap has two connections which must be unbolted.

1. Lower the tank a few inches, then detach the fuel lines and electrical connection from the sending unit/fuel pump assembly, if required.
  2. Remove the tank from the vehicle.
  3. image

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager