Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

2001 Ford Escape: radiator fan..cylinder..instrument..overheating

Customer Question

The radiator fan on my 2001 Ford Escape 6-cylinder constantly runs and the instrument gauge reads hot but the radiator is not overheating.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, the most common cause of cooling fan always running and a false hot reading on temp gage is a fault ECT(engine coolant temperature)sensor, locate at center rear of engine.

graphic

replacement directions:
graphic
Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you
.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any special tools needed or hints on removal/installation? Would an auto parts store carry this or just a Ford dealer?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, it costs about $30-40 at any parts store and they should carry it in stock.

Pretty easy to replace. Drain about 1/4 of the coolant from the radiator so it does not spill out onto engine when sensor is removed, then disconnect the harness connector to it, and then use wrench to unscrew it from engine, and install new one and plug inand refill coolant. That is it. total book labor at a shop is only 20 minutes to do

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still cannot locate the ECT using the diagram you provided,
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

sorry, my mistake a looked up wrong year.

on yours, it is just to the left of the water pump:

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need a better view please
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
hi,

i am looking to see if Ford has a better diagram
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, because these diagrams are very generic and misleading.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

this is the only other one I can find from Ford. the pulley in the diagram is the water pump pulley to help you in getting a bearing on location:

graphic

I am still looking for an actual photo, but nothing yet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, but you have added the old location below the photo. And what are the arrows for? How many things are in the way that have to be removed? From top of engine compartment? Under?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still trying to get me a better graphic? What about accessibility to the sensor?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

the arrows are pointing to the bypass hoses to remove(for another job). I included it because it shows location of the waterpump pulley, which the sensor is located to the left of.

Have you found the water pump pulley on your vehicle yet?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not happy because I can't locate the sensor!
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

have you located the water pump pulley yet?

find it on the driver's side of the engine as shown in diagrams. Now, look to the left, on the end of the left cylinder head and you will see it. It is just below the throttle body

graphic

graphic

I have given you absolutely every diagram FORD provides for it, as well as from other service manuals.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try the repair tomorrow
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I will be here off and on tomorrow as I have some family obligations to see to, but will check my emails and respond as soon as I can
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still cannot locate it. Can I send you my photos and maybe you can help? I'll need you e-mail address. Thanks.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

we are not allowed to give out email addressesyou can upload the photos by clicking on the paperclip icon on the reply toolbar.

in the meantime, can you provide the VIN code and let me try pulling diagrams up with that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Eric:

I finally found the sensor on the rear of the engine facing the driver's compartment! I removed a lot of unnecessary things, too. What a pain in the ass. Ford's "detailed" location sucks. Pardon my language. I replaced the sensor and am testing it now. If that isn't the problem I will contact you again. But in the meantime, I accept your answer. Have a great Sunday. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, that was not the problem!!! The gauge still reads hot and the fan runs continuously. Now what?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As I said, the problem still exists. Any more suggestions?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I am going to pull up the schematics and post back in a bit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any help yet Eric?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

is your temp gauge analog or digital?

does the cooling fan ever start running when engine is off, but key is in on position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Analog. The fan runs only when engine is on and after about 10-15 minutes of operation. It sometimes stops running when the car is idling.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

the only other connection besides wiring is the Powertrain Control Module. I am placing a call to Ford technical support and see what they say.

It might not be until noon or so before i hear back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, and the heat doesn't work either.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

is the heater not working something new, or has it coincided with the fan constantly running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
coincided
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, that adds another dimension to it and changes things. I need you to crank engine, allow to idle for 10 minutes with heat on high and tell me if either of the heater hoses gets hot.

also, has check engine light ever come on, or is it on now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hoses did not get hot and engine light never comes on.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, the heater not working is a very important symptom. With hoses not getting hot, either there is a circulation problem or the thermostat is stuck open. I would replace the thermostat and do a flush.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will replace the thermostat and see what happens. But I thought a malfunctioning thermostat would cause overheating.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

not if it is sticking open. if sticking closed it will overheat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, but does this have any connection to the problem of the fan running and gauge indicating hot?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

I am waiting on a call back from Ford technical support on this, as the symptoms are contradictory.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced thermostat and drove the car. Still no heat and still fan noise and high reading on gauge. This can't be a coincidence.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2001 Ford Escape with V-6 engine:
Radiator fan runs on and temp gauge reads Hot after few minutes of operation, Temp sensor replaced. No change. Heat does not come on. Thermostat replaced. No change. Now what?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Were you ever going to follow up? No one has answered.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Now engine is overheating but heater is working. Does anyone have an answer?
Expert:  MasterTech509 replied 2 years ago.
is the coolant system building any pressure have you replaced the coolant cap?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Now the problem has "corrected" itself but the fan still runs on. The cooling system overheated twice yesterday. I waited, added water, and have driven it a few times since then. There has been no overheating, the gauge reads in the middle, and the heat works. The fan runs on but does shut off. This is very strange!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer at all
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.

welcome to Just Answer.

If you had to add coolant you have a leak in the coolant system. You need to go to Autozone you rent the coolant pressure tester. You need to do this test with the engine cool, and it must be full of coolant. You will then pump air into the system and listen and look for noise and leakage. A coolant leak can be hard to find, if the gauge goes down you have a leak. Check the ground if there is a puddle then try to determine where it is coming from, look at the hoses, intake gasket,radiator, freeze plugs. You can rent the tool for free at Autozone, you just give them a deposit to use the tool and you get every dollar back when you return the tool.If you do not see a puddle check the floor board on the passager side front for wetness, if it is wet the heater core is your problem. If there is no wetness it could be a head gasket and you need to examine the oil for coolant in the oil. Then you need to do a compression test one the cylinders to confirm if it is the head gasket.

When the coolant gets low in the vehicle the heater will not work. the coolant needs to be at a certain level for it to work.

Now if the coolant is full and the engine fan is running it could be a bad fan relay, you can switch the relay with another relay in the junction box next to the battery. Remove the lid and flip it upside down to see the diagram of the location of the fan relay. It could be a bad ground in the relay not telling the fan to turn off. You can switch the relay with another one that has the same part number. Like the Horn relay.

Now if the coolant is to low the temputure sensor will trigger the fan to come on do to lack of coolant to keep the engine cool. Keep check the coolant level.

Ok so you need to find the leak, then switch the relay for the fan around with the horn and see if it works correct.

Please let me know if you need more help

If you are satisfied with my answer I have provided for you please click the ACCEPT BUTTON for me to receive the credit for my time and helping you. After you click the accept button you are more then welcome to ask me more questions as long as it is related to this issue for FREE.I do not get credit for helping you until you click the ACCEPT BUTTON. If you are a subscriber please make sure you click the Accept Button, this does not cost you anything. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Thank you very much