Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

Ford Mustang: gear shift is locked on park,will not move what

Customer Question

gear shift is locked on park,will not move what is my options? It is a 2002 mustang. The car will not move.It starts but it will not come out of park.It is stuck will not go into drive.When I press the button to put into gear it is very loose?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I will try to help. See if you have brake lights and let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no brake lights
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
OK, I was leaning towards you not having brake lights either. The problem is most likely the fuse, or the brake lamp switch. If your brake lamp switch has failed it won't release the shift lock mechanism. Check your fuses, in your fuse panel, Fuse number 33 and fuse number 41. They are both 15 amp and will be blue in color. Pull them out one by one and see if the element in them is blown. If it is, replace the fuse, If both fuses are good, Check the brake light switch and make sure it's making contact the brake pedal assembly. you will need a test light to check the brake lamp switch. And replace the switch if it is defective. I believe a fuse may be all you need.
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

fuses were good replaced brake light switch, gear shift is still locked. Now what????

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I went and bought a new brake light switch it made contact wiyh brake pedal and brake lights did work but it did not solve the problem, it is still locked on park,the gear shift is still locked,will not shift
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
Allow me to help in diagnosing your vehicle! If I helped make sure to hit ACCEPT button so as I can get credited.

Its sounds like a shift interlock concern. Here is the pinpoint test to follow in order to diagnose it correctly. Follow pinpoint test (A)

Follow LINK