Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

replacing front wheel bearings on a four wheel drive ford ranger

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,

auto or manual locking hubs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

auto

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

ok, below are directions:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

• Remove the retainer washers from the lug nut studs and remove the automatic locking hub assembly from the spindle.
  • Remove the snapring and spacer from the end of the spindle shaft.
  • Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

• Fig. Fig. 18: Exploded view of the locking cam, thrust washers, locking key and bearing adjuster nut

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

• Fig. Fig. 19: Remove the wheel bearing adjusting nut after removing the locking key from under it

• Pull the locking cam assembly and the two plastic spacers off of the wheel bearing adjusting nut.
  • Use a magnet and remove the locking key from under the adjusting nut. If required, rotate the adjusting nut slightly to relieve pressure against the locking key.

• WARNING
  • To prevent damage to the adjusting nut and spindle threads on vehicles equipped with automatic hubs, look into the spindle keyway under the adjusting nut and remove the separate locking key before removing the adjusting nut.
  • Remove the wheel bearing locknut using a 2- 3 / 8 inch (60.3mm) hex socket, such as Hex Locknut Wrench T70T-152-B.
  • Remove the outer bearing cone and roller assembly from the hub. Remove the hub and rotor from the spindle.
  • Using seal removal tool 1175-AC or equivalent remove and discard the grease seal. Remove the inner bearing cone and roller assembly from the hub.
  • Clean the inner and outer bearing assemblies in solvent. Inspect the bearings and the cones for wear and damage. Replace defective parts, as required.
  • If the cups are worn or damaged, remove them with front hub remover tool T81P-1104-C and tool T77F-1102-A or equivalent.
  • Wipe the old grease from the spindle. Check the spindle for excessive wear or damage. Replace defective parts, as required.
  • To install:
  • If the inner and outer cups were removed, use bearing driver handle tool T80-900-W or equivalent and replace the cups. Be sure to seat the cups properly in the hub.
  • Use a bearing packer tool and properly repack the wheel bearings with the proper grade and type grease. If a bearing packer is not available work as much of the grease as possible between the rollers and cages. Also, grease the cone surfaces.
  • Position the inner bearing cone and roller assembly in the inner cup. A light film of grease should be included between the lips of the new grease seal.
  • Install the grease seal by driving in place with hub seal replacer tool T83T-1175-B and Driver Handle T80T-900-W.
  • Install the hub and rotor assembly onto the spindle. Keep the hub centered on the spindle to prevent damage to the spindle and the retainer.
  • Install the outer bearing cone and roller assembly.
  • Carefully install the rotor onto the spindle. Install the outer wheel bearing in the rotor.
  • Install the adjusting nut and tighten 35 ft. lbs. (6 Nm) to seat the bearings.
  • Follow the appropriate wheel bearing adjustment procedures.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

• Fig. Fig. 20: When installing the outer hub cover, align the cam pockets with the legs on the cover

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask for more help, otherwise please click the accept button and/or smiley face to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a paysite and expert is not paid for their time, knowledge or services until you do so.