Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Ford Technician experience. I have built many custom Fords, I also collect them.
9795573

what should i do i put power steering fluid in my transmission

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  jim replied 2 years ago.

jim :

How much did you put in and what kind of power steerning fluid did you put in?

Customer:

gunk universal power steering with stop leak fluid and put under 32 oz

jim :

So you put about 1 bottle in?

Customer:

almost

Customer:

about 22oz

jim :

I don't think it will cause any problems, if it was my vehicle I would not worry about it. If you want to be on the safe side you should have the transmission fluid exchanged and this should be done every 30,000 miles anyways.

Customer:

ok because my mechanic told me not to drive it and have it towed to have the transmission flushed

jim :

This is the safest thing to do, I myself would not be that concerned, you might want to call the number on the bottle and ask them to be on the safe side.

jim :

Most power sterning fluids base is transmission fluid and the company would no this for sure.

Customer:

will do that

jim :

Let me know what they say.

Expert:  jim replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i was expecting a better response to my question but in the meantime i have emailed the power steering fluid company due to they are closed at this time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
i wasnt given a very good answer and was told to contact the power steering fluid company
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

There are a few things to consider here. One is if you contact the company they might tell you to immediately change the fluid, to protect themselves from any liability. And the person telling you this might not know the particulars to well.

I know a lot about lubricants, and additives down to the chemical level of the contents. Here is my take on it, and this isn’t my first time around the block. For years the power steering and automatic fluid standards have been the same for most vehicles, with few exceptions like Honda. Some manufacturers even specify to use transmission fluid in the power steering systems. So the two fluids are identical, or I should say virtually identical, so close that it will not cause any problems. They are both basically oil with detergent additives. There are transmission stop leak products chemically, virtually identical to the power steering stop leak products. So botXXXXX XXXXXne is the addition of the power steering stop leak to your transmission will probably make the transmission less prone to leaks in the future. So don’t worry about it, it wont hurt a thing. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
Experience: I have 30 years of Ford Technician experience. I have built many custom Fords, I also collect them.