Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master

ADVTRAC on 2005 Explorer Abs

ADVTRAC on 2005 Explorer Abs
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

Let me know if any tires were replaced recently. I would start with a visual inspection of the rear tone rings. These are mounted on the outside CV joint on the rear half shafts or axles. They crack and spin, this will set the abs and cause issues like this. Next if nothing found we need to check the system for trouble codes. Not all shops have an advanced scanner to do this.

let me know what you find

good luck

Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

what did you find on the abs(tone ring)?

did you check for trouble codes?

tire size if more then 1/4 inch circumference difference can cause this.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

you need to tell me if you looked at the tone rings on the rear axles and if they have a crack. Tire size can also cause an issue with advance trac.

checking for codes is really important if nothing is found on the visual inspection

we can follow pin point tests when we get direction

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still waiting Why dose it shift into 4x4 on its own
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I looked at the tone rings and they are OK, and tires have not been replaced in recent but are OK
Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

ok, if the abs system has a fault like a wheel speed sensor the advance trac kick in. When a sensor stops working the abs/trac system thinks a wheel is not turning, for traction it will go into 4x4.

The tone rings can have a very small crack, axle really needs to be turned for good visual inspection. The abs system uses active speed sensors, cannot be ohmed out.

we need to use a scanner that can access codes and even show live data, all the wheel speed sensors.

while we are at it check the brake fluid and let me know if this vehicle has had the speed control recall. There is a switch on the master that can leak, jumper harness installed too.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there a fuse for all this system? I removed the tires and looked at all you stated to do. My friend has a computer to check the other Items that you stated.

As far as I bought the car new and have not received a recall notice on anything.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.
If there is a jumper harness with a fuse in front of the master the recall was done. we need to verify wheel speed. Need a scanner for active wheel speed sensors.