Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

f350 with 6.0 just died while driving down road . wont start

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

greetings,

do you have access to a scanner? what year is the truck? how many miles? what repairs have been done ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
scanner reads error, 2005 ,141000
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

did it just shut off or lose power and then stall? do you hear the injectors when the key is turned on? is the ficm original? how are the batteries?

do you have a multi meter?

what kind of scanner? did you check pin 16 for power?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just shut off

I'll try injector noise

ficm think is orig.

batteries good

multi-meter yes

didn't check pin 16 what is it

Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

no buzz , most likely FICM.

DLC or connector gets power for the scanner on pin 16 from cig fuse

weak batteries or charging system problems can cause the FICM to fail

low or no oil pressure from the high pressure oil pump could cause a no start too.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hear buzz

what is ficm

charging system is ok

Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

FICM is the duel injector control module

you might have lost high pressure oil for the injectors

did you change the ICP in the RH valve cover

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Haven't checked oil pressure

what is icp

Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

You can pop off the top for the secondary fuel filter and see if there is fuel in it.

you said you replaced oil sensing switch

ICP is the injector control pressure sensor

tells computer(ECM) oil pressure

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

fuel in secondary filter

replaced oil sensing switch

Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

If the ICP is new the high pressure oil system need to be tested for leaks. There could be a leak or the high pressure oil pump my have failed.

we need high pressure air to test system

Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience: 30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

I am leaving for church, we can continue later if you like

thank you very much

Expert:  Ironmike replied 2 years ago.

always good to verify things like FICM power. we need 12 volts to FICM and should see 48 volts out to fire injectors.

Ficm voltage can be tested with a multi meter.

We should see min 500 psi for the injectors to work. there are oil rail plugs that leak and at the pump a fitting that leaks, even the injector seals.

air checks can test for leaks in the high pressure oil system.