AlvinC
AlvinC, Ford Technician
Experience:  With Ford 20+years as Dealership Technician Ford Senior Master Technician Gas and Diesel

1997 Ford F 250: speedometer..trip odometer..be an electrical problem

Customer Question

Does my 1997 Ford F 250 have a digital or analog speedometer? The speed works but the odometers stopped when I tried to reset the trip odometer. Could this be an electrical problem or mechenical? Do I have to pull the dash board to fix it?
I need instructions and diagrams on how I can fix the odometer?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Hi this is Al, Is your truck the F250 light duty or F250 Superduty? Thanks, Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have entered my credit card information twice, both with Visa card. It came back to that I needed to confirm my Master Card.???????????????????

I typed this information before and it seems to have fallen into a deep hole. Ha!

My vehicle number is XXXXX IT IS 4X2 (2 WHEEL DRIVE),1997 F-250 XLT,SUPERCAB, 8 CYLINDER FUEL INJECTION, 4 SPEED AUTOMATIC,5.4 LITER, LIGHT DUTY 6 FOOT BED AND SIDES ARE NOT FLARED.

I have already told you more than I know!!!!! Is this enough information?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not requesting any additional information, only that which I originally asked for. I was told to wait for an answer.
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, but in 97 they made 2 different F250's one was a F150 that was made to be able to handle a heavier load and the other remained the old body style which was the Superduty. 97 and 98 were the only years they did this. I asked for that info to make sure I got you the right info. I need to know if it is the more square body or the more rounded body, Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ford agency said this VIN is for an F250 light duty pickup which was made from an F-150 for 1997 and 1998
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Ok you have the light duty F250, the odometer on this model in most cases can be repaired. It is a common concern that they quit. The solder joints come loose on the circuit board. To repair remove the instrument cluster and re solder the connections where the pins of the connector meets the circuit board and this should solve your issue, if not the cluster will need to be replaced, Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no explanation nor diagrams on how to remove the instrument cluster. The problem happened when I pulled out the reset shaft while driving down the street. Could a gear or cog have been stripped? It seems more like a mechanical problem than an electrical one.
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.

I am missing something here, is you odometer a digital display or analog wheels, Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it is analog?????????????????????????????????????
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Did the display glow blue green before it quit, Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was in the day time so I don't know if it had any colors. I just checked and the light in the dash is green when I have the head lights on.. The odometer looks like those we had in the 1930 and 1940 cars, so it has to be analog. When I pushed the reset control tonight, I could see movement behind and between the numbers. This must be the tumblers moving.
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.

Ok, you have a hybrid like cluster it is an electronic speedometer/odometer, but an analog display. by pulling the reset button out this has screwed up the drive gears to the odometer so it will need replacing ans is serviced in a cluster. The speedometer/odometer is actually driven by a small electric motor instead of a cable. Here are the cluster replacement procedures. I hope this helps, Al

Click here for replacement procedure

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where do I find the mentioned tester-----New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester?

It appears from your information that my odometer can not be repaired, and it is definately not worth the replacement cost..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Item #2 says to release 4 clips but has no instructions on how to do it.

Item #4 says to remove the transmission range indicator but doesn't say how.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The instructions say to replace the module and doesn't explain what is included in the module. Is it just the odometer, speedometer, or the whole kit and kabudle.
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
The module is the cluster.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For your information, I was able to get the help I need at speedometergears.com. They explained how to remove the module, motor, and the bad part which they are almost certain is a worm gear attached to the motor.

First I went onto speedometer cluster using Google. The price of a worm gear is $28.00 versus about $150-$175 to have it repaired.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You should have told me that there is decale on the door post with the GVW. The heavy duty is over 8500 pounds and mine is 6600. This could have saved me some time. Also, most of these odometers have a worm gear attached to the motor on the back side of the speedometer cluster. This is the problem most of the time. You just give the motor a right twist to release it from the cluster. There are pictures of the cluster on the internet as well as u tube videos, etc.

I feel that these are things you should know about if you are to be an expert.

Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
First off you have all the answers so you did not really need my help. Second the vehicle was only made for a year and a half 15 years ago between the and now there have a lot of changes. I am very good at what I do, but I am not perfect no an encyclopedia. I did not help with your concern so please request a refund so we can close this question, Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hereby request refunds for the two charges against my credit card so you can close this question.
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
You will need to contact customer service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is your telephonme number for customer service?