Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

Ford Explorer: replace the wheel bearing on my 2006 XLT 4WD V8

I need to replace the wheel bearing on my 2006 XLT 4WD V8 Ford Explorer. Can someone please send me the procedure including the socket sizes that will be needed. Any special procedue on the tie rod ends? I will replace those since I am already in there as well.
Thanks
Brian
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The other Experts and I are working on your answer.

By the way, it would help us to know:

-Why is the wheel bearing being replaced?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am getting a loud humming sound at 45-70mph - I believe its from the drivers sides but not 100% sure. The tie rod feels to be loosening up and a mechanic when changing my tires mentioned to keep an eye on the drivers side. I am looking to change out both sides at the same time to since I will have the tools out and the time set aside to do it.
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

By the way, it would help to know:

-I can send the Instructions directly from Ford, which includes instructions with diagrams?

-You will need to have the vehicle aligned after tie rod replacement.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sure- you will send for tie rod and front wheel beering replacement and these diagrams will have sockets sizes along with torque requirements correct?

If so that would be what I am looking for-

I have the alignement ready for saturday looking to get this work done on Friday

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
The instructions do not include the wrench sizes, but a basic metric socket set will work. The special tools needed will be listed with the instructions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When will you send the instructions?

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Please give me a few moments to get the information for you.

And Please don't forget to click on the green ACCEPT answer button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The instructions are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the green ACCEPT ANSWER button, so that I may get credit for my work. If you need more help let me know.

Tools Needed

• medium flat blade screwdriver
    ¾" socket
  • 30mm socket
  • 18mm socket
  • 15mm socket

Wheel Bearing and Wheel Hub Replacement Instructions Click Here

Tie Rod Replacement Instructions Click Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Shawn

Looking back at my request. I should have stated I need the instructions for the Front Bearing assembly not the back assembly and the outer tie rod not the inner tie rod along with the appropiate wrench sizes.

Thanks

Brian

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The information I am sending is for the front only.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What you sent me is

204-02 rear bearing (I need front)

and

211-02-1 inner tie rod (I need outer)

Thanks

Brian

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

I understand, please I'm not trying to be difficult the front hub bearing replacement instructions are HERE

The inner and outer tie rod instructions are included together per FORD MOTOR COMPANY, You cannot replace the inner without removing the outer first. CLICK HERE

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas