Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

2002 ford explorer: winter and now is not getting any fuel delivery

I have a 2002 ford explorer, manufactured in 02/02. This vehicle has been sitting unused over winter and now is not getting any fuel delivery. It will not start. battery and starter are good. So, I was going to replace the fuel filter but cannot get the fittings to release.
Where is the fuel pressure relief valve? I also want to check the fuel pump relay, however I do not have the owners manual. I have looked this up online through ford and elsewhere for a 2002 ford explorer sport 4.0 SOHC. The diagrams of the power distribution box are different than what is under my hood?! So, could this be a 2001 Ford explorer? Manufactured in 02/02 Can anyone tell me the correct number of the fuel pump relay fuse in the power distribution box? Any hints or secrets to getting the fuel lines to disconnect from the filter? I have tried two types of tools one metal and one plastic, metal one finally broke and I have been trying for hours to get these off.

Rmldaytona :

Hello. Thank you for using Just Answer. I'm Robert and will give my best efforts in answering your question. I would like to gather some information to aid me in providing you with accurate information. What is the VIN# XXXXX this vehicle? Is this a 2 orXXXXXvehicle?

Customer:

It is a 2wd, vin # XXXXX

Rmldaytona :

Thank you. Allow me a few minutes to pull up some information.

Customer:

I believe I did correctly identify the fuel pump relay, located in an image of a "Battery Junction Box - Sport" #C1051

Rmldaytona :

There are 2 fuse box setups for this year. The split is 02/18/02. Your fuse box which has the fuel pump relay is under the hood.

Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Full Size Image

Rmldaytona :

As for the fuel filter...

Customer:

Correct, I have replaced the fuel pump relay with a new one (#C1051) on second image.

Customer:

Can't get the fuel lines to release. have used two types of tools, one metal & one plastic. Neither are releasing the couplings. I have sprayed lubricant into the fitting and still can't get them to release. Are they pressurized and if so , where is the pressure relief valve located?

Rmldaytona :

To release the fuel filter... First, lube the inside of the fittings with some strong penetrating oil. Not wd40 but a real penetrating oil. Let soak. Even overnight. Apply and reapply. Then, insert the tool into the filter line fitting, push the line into the filter and push the tool into the fitting. Twist, turn and push it all together. Without pulling on the tool, pull the line off. In fact, try to push the tool in to the fitting as you pull the line out. The plastic tools work just fine.

Full Size Image

Rmldaytona :

For the pressure release/fuel test port...

Rmldaytona :

Full Size Image
To release fuel pressure, remove the fuel pump relay and allow the vehicle to stall. Or, push the shrader valve on the fuel test pressure test port. It is located at the end of the fuel rail as shown in the following diagram.

Customer:

Where is fuel rail located?

Customer:

We got one fitting off, fuel line should not be pressurized anymore. Correct?

Rmldaytona :

The line has no pressure in it if one line is off. The fuel rail actually runs on top of the engine under the intake manifold. The following image shows the fuel rail where the injectors are but with the intake manifold removed for clarity. I circled the fuel test pressure port for you in red. With the intake installed, you can see the rail on your vehicle.

Full Size Image

Customer:

When I replace the filter and pump, will I need to bleed the fuel line of air? If so, how.

Customer:

Tell me about the fuel cut off switch in the passenger floorboard at the fire wall. I feel the top of the switch where the round collar and button are located. the button seems to be depressed and flush with the housing. how do I reset?

Rmldaytona :

After fuel system repairs which cause loss of fuel pressure... Turn the ignition key on, wait 3 seconds, turn off, wait 3 seconds. Repeat 3 times. This will pressurize the fuel system. Crank the engine and it may still run rough or take a few seconds to start once the reset of the air comes out. But there is no special procedure that must be followed. Some guys just crank the engine until it starts. The fuel shut off switch is simply pushed in to reset. It is like a turkey popper. It pops out if tripped and all you have to do is push it back in.

Customer:

OK, I am going to go try to release more valves. and double check the 20amp fuse (FI23) Any other thoughts on this fuel delivery issue? After I replace the relay, filter and pump. I can't imagine any other cause? PCM maybe?

Customer:

After I hit accept can I still ask you a question or two if I have them?

Customer:

Those fuel line fittings are super tough to get off.

Rmldaytona :

Those fittings can be a tough one once they get rusty. Ford calls them "quick disconnect fittings". That has got to be a practical joke! There are many factors involved here. Do you have spark, injector pulse, and codes stored in the computer? As for simple fuel pump operation... Computer energizes the relay, the inertia switch if not tripped allows the power to get to the pump. If the pump is grounded properly, it runs. The fuel pump pumps fuel through the filter to the rail and the injectors which are attached to the rail are solenoids which are energized to open by the computer for a specified time and spray fuel into the engine.

Rmldaytona :

Once you click ACCEPT, you can come back to this post for 30 days, reopen it and ask further information pertaining to your original question.

Rmldaytona :

I will be more than happy to help you if you run into any further problems regarding this topic

Rmldaytona :

So please feel free to repopen this post if you need to.

Customer:

Well I jsut sorta caused a new issue, in trying to release the quick disconnect on the pump,the flex hose just ripped away from the back of the fitting. And now that I have the pump free and clear from the vehicle I still can not release the fitting! What a joke! So, how can I replace the flexhose from the metal fuel line to the pump? The fittings look factory made. Any Way to replace?

Rmldaytona :

There are kits that include all kinds of parts to make and repair a fuel line. You can take the line off the vehicle and take it to a shop and have them repair it for a fee. Or you can purchase one from the dealer. There is a great online source Fordparts.com that has all the parts you would ever need and they are factory parts. You can even search by VIN and see the part you are purchasing. DO NOT hose clamp the line to the pump!!! Fix it the right way. As for the fitting... remember, push the line and fitting IN tightly, insert the tool, while pushing the tool into the fitting pull the line from the fitting.

Rmldaytona :

There are kits that include all kinds of parts to make and repair a fuel line. You can take the line off the vehicle and take it to a shop and have them repair it for a fee. Or you can purchase the whole line from the dealer. Sorry if I was not clear on that last statement. Additionally, you can purchase complete fuel pump assemblies which include the housing, the float, the strainer, the connector, the seal, the lines on top.

Full Size Image

Customer:

Thank you for your help, that is the exact pump I bought. will go to dealer and advanced auto tomorrow for fuel line kit and/or whole line.

Customer:

Thanks again, Ryan

Rmldaytona :

I wish you luck.