Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.

Ford Explorer Limited: 1994 ford explorer limited 4x4.i am

1994 ford explorer limited 4x4.i am wondering if it is ok to drive.vehicle sat for approx six months.has been a hot winter in sw florida,temps in 80s daily.after driving at various speeds for twenty to thirty mins the front hubs are almost too hot to wrap my hands around.have tried this test drive several times and hubs always hot.hubs unlocked.if i jack the vehicle and spin the wheels the only turn freely a revolution or bearing noise or play in wheels.itook off wheels,grease is visible and plentyfull,brakes this normal,mabe just temp being conducted from engine through steel to spindles,car runs and coasts smooth,easy to push by hand,tempeture of hubs concerns me????
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Greetings and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there!
It is normal for the hubs to get very hot. You may also have some brake drag happening there. The brakes will generate a severe amount of heat. This will be transfered out to the spindle and the hubs from the rotors. I would pull the calipers and clean and lube the sliders and make sure the brake pads are moving freely in the brackets. If all looks good and is moving freely, drive it.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sounds like a good answer,i will be doing overhaul on much of the vehicle,not engine or transmission,they are fine but all brake lines,shocks,springs,alot of rust,vehicle came from michigan,even though i bought it in florida,you can see the road salt damage.i will most likely need your help further down tyhe road.on the present question,the drivers side hub is hotter than the passanger sides,cant keep my hand on it???
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I would defiantly start by checking the brake drag on the driver side then. I live in upstate NY so believe me, I get the rust and road salt issues as well.
I suspect brake issue causing the problem. All they have to do is drag while driving to generate a bunch of heat.
These guys are the worst to. They use a chunk of rubber, then have steel on both sides. When you step on the brakes the rubber stretches, then when you let off it's suppose to pull it back off the rotor.So you need to drive out the rubbers and make sure they are in one piece, then clean and lube the contact points for the rubber and where the ends of the pads sit.
Here is a diagram, not the best, XXXXX XXXXX least it will give you an idea.
Worst setup ever in my opinion!