Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Ower
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical
60340645

My 2004 F350 with a 6.0 Powerstroke misses/no power when cold...when

My 2004 F350 with a 6.0 Powerstroke misses/no power when cold...when it warms up it will run great with lots of power and no misses.

What would cause the no power and misses when cold...but not when warm?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Joel Walden
Category: Ford
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.
welcome to Just Answer.

Do you know what the codes are in the computer if any?

Did this act up after a oil change?

Does it have trouble starting?

Does is smoke when trying to start it if so what color is the smoke, or when runs bad?

The more I know the better I can help you

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ANSWER: NO

Did this act up after a oil change?

ANSWER: NO...As I mentioned it started when the water light came on and then i changed both fuel filters. I also changed the oil and oil filter.

Does it have trouble starting?

ANSWER: Not necessarily but runs real rough, misses and no power! ONLY WHEN COLD!

IT RUNS GREAT WHEN WARMED UP!

ANSWER: NO

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I reviewed the library and it says the FICM might be the problem

Ok thank you for getting back to me. Yes this is a very good possibility.

With the diesels always keep an eye on the oil level, if low it does cause problems like this and even a no start.

Now back to FICM the dealer has a recall on this and you need to see if your vehicle is involved in this recall on the FICM.

If you are not on the recall it could just need its updates installed.

If you would like to check this out if you are not on the recall list here is how to test it.

Please let me know if you need any more help.

Thank you again for waiting and getting back to me.
PPT S: FUEL INJECTOR CONTROL MODULE (FICM) LOW VOLTAGE (ON BOARD DIAGNOSTICS 6.0L DIESEL)
2004 PCED On Board Diagnostics 6.0L Diesel SECTION 5: Pinpoint Tests
Procedure revision date: 10/29/2009

S: Fuel Injector Control Module (FICM) Low Voltage

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
S: Introduction

S1 CHECK FOR DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) P0611, P1378 AND P1379

Note: Diagnose all crankshaft position (CKP) sensor, camshaft position (CMP) sensor, glow plug system or high pressure oil system DTCs before entering this pinpoint test.

• Carry out a visual inspection.
  • Retrieve and record all DTCs.
  • Record the freeze frame data.
  • Clear the DTCs.
  • Carry out the self-test.
Are any DTCs present?
Yes No
For DTCs P0611 or P1378, GO to S2.

For DTC P1379, GO to S9.
GO to S2.

S2 CHECK THE BATTERY VOLTAGE

• Ignition ON, engine OFF.
  • Access the PCM and monitor the B_ PID.
  • Record the PID voltage.
  • Ignition ON, engine OFF.
  • Measure the voltage between:

( + ) Vehicle Battery ( - ) Vehicle Battery
    Positive terminal Negative terminal

• Crank the engine.
  • Record the engine cranking voltage.
Is the KOEO B+ PID value greater than 11.5 volts and is the engine cranking voltage greater than 8 volts?
Yes No
GO to S3. REFER to the Workshop Manual Section 414-00, Charging System, Inspection and Verification to continue diagnosis.

S3 CHECK THE FICM SUPPLY VOLTAGE CIRCUIT

Note: For E-Series, the scan tool may have a delayed response in displaying the FICM_LPWR and FICM_VPWR PIDs actual values. If the peak voltage values meet the specification the vehicle should start and run normally.

• Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect the:
    • Glow plug control module
    • Fuel heater, if equipped
  • Ignition ON, engine OFF.
  • Access the PCM and monitor the FICM_LPWR and FICM_VPWR PIDs.
Are the FICM_LPWR and FICM_VPWR PIDs greater than 11.5 V?
Yes No
GO to S10. GO to S4.

S4 CHECK THE FICM VOLTAGE CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

• Ignition OFF.
  • FICM Relay connector disconnected.
  • Ignition ON, engine OFF.
  • Measure the voltage between:

( + ) FICM Relay Connector, Harness Side ( - )
    B+ (coil) Ground
    B+ (contacts) Ground

Are the voltages greater than 11.5 V?
Yes No
GO to S5. REPAIR the open circuit. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

S5 CHECK THE FICM RELAY CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

• Ignition OFF.
  • FICM-C connector disconnected.
  • PCM Power Relay connector disconnected.
  • Measure the resistance between:

( + ) PCM Power Relay Connector, Harness Side ( - ) FICM-C Connector, Harness Side
    VPWR FICM Logic Power

Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes No
GO to S6. REPAIR the open circuit. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

S6 CHECK THE FICM RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

• Measure the resistance between:

( + ) FICM Relay Connector, Harness Side ( - ) FICM-C Connector, Harness Side
    FICM Control FICM Control

Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes No
GO to S7. REPAIR the open circuit. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

S7 CHECK THE FICM POWER RELAY

• Carry out the FICM power relay component test. Refer to the Wiring Diagrams Cell 149 Component Testing.
Does the FICM power relay pass the component test?
Yes No
GO to S8. INSTALL a new FICM relay.

CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

S8 CHECK THE FICM SUPPLY VOLTAGE

• Ignition OFF.
  • FICM-C connector disconnected.
  • FICM Relay connector connected.
  • Connect a 5 amp fused jumper wire between the following:

Point A FICM-C Connector, Harness Side Point B
    FICM Control Ground

• Ignition ON, engine OFF.
  • Measure the voltage between:

( + ) FICM-C Connector, Harness Side ( - )
    FICM Power - Pin 23, 24, 25, 4 Ground

Are the voltages greater than 11.5 volts?
Yes No
GO to S10. REPAIR the open circuit. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

S9 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1379

• DTC P1379 indicates the FICM supply voltage high.
  • Clear the DTCs.
  • Carry out the self-test.
Is DTC P1379 present?
Yes No
REFER to the Workshop Manual Section 414-00, Charging System to diagnose the charging system overcharges (battery voltage is greater than 15.5 volts) condition. Unable to duplicate the condition. CHECK for a loose connection, and damaged or corroded terminals. WIGGLE the harness attempting to recreate the concern. REPAIR as necessary. REFER to Section 3, No DTCs Present Symptom Chart Index, if a driveability concern exists.

S10 CHECK THE FICM OUTPUT VOLTAGE

Note: The fuel injectors will click for approximately 20 seconds after the ignition is turned to the ON position. The fuel injectors cycling for approximately 20 seconds is an indication that the FICM is operating correctly.

• Ignition OFF.
  • EOT Sensor connector disconnected.
  • Set the Instrument Gauge System Tester 014-R1063 or equivalent to 100,000 ohms resistance.
  • Verify the resistance setting on the Instrument Gauge System Tester 014-R1063 or equivalent using the DMM.
  • Connect the Instrument Gauge System Tester 014-R1063 or equivalent between the EOT and the SIGRTN circuits, EOT connector, harness side.
  • Ignition ON, engine OFF.
  • Access the PCM and monitor the FICM_MPWR PID.
  • Record the FICM_MPWR PID value.
Is the voltage greater than 45 volts during the entire duration of the last 10 seconds of the fuel injectors clicking?
Yes No
Unable to duplicate the condition. CHECK for a loose connection, and damaged or corroded terminals. WIGGLE the harness attempting to recreate the concern. REPAIR as necessary. REFER to Section 3, Symptom Charts, if a driveability concern exists. GO to S11.

S11 CHECK THE FICM OUTPUT VOLTAGE AFTER REPROGRAMMING

• Ignition OFF.
  • Carry out the Module Reprogramming - FICM procedure. Refer to the scan tool manufacturer's manual for specific information on the scan tool setup, operation, and specific cables and adapters required.
  • Ignition ON, engine OFF.
  • Record the FICM_MPWR PID value.
Is the voltage greater than 45 volts during the last 10 seconds of the fuel injectors clicking?
Yes No
The concern is not present at this time. REFER to Section 3, Symptom Charts, if a driveability concern exists. INSTALL a new FICM. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

If you are satisfied with my answer I have provided for you please click the ACCEPT BUTTON for me to receive the credit for my time and helping you. After you click the accept button you are more then welcome to ask me more questions as long as it is related to this issue for FREE.I do not get credit for helping you until you click the ACCEPT BUTTON. If you are a subscriber please make sure you click the Accept Button, this does not cost you anything. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Thank you very much
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Ower
Experience: Diagnosticas & Electrical