Shawn E
Shawn E, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  23 Years with Ford, 12 Year Ford Senior Master, ASE Master.
22388146

Ford F250 SuperDuty Pickup 4x4: Hello, I have 04 F250 6.0L

Customer Question

Hello, I have 04 F250 6.0L with an SCT Livewire 9600 and a few mods (black onyx gaskets, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, Cold Air Intake, Aftermarket oil cooler, 4" turbo back stainless exhaust, and a antifreeze filter system) I was having issues with the monitoring screen on my SCT so returned the truck to stock and then worked with SCT to get the Livewire back to normal operations. Truck still in stock tune and will not start keeps cranking over and over, have to usally hook big charger on it to give it life and it will start. The code that it reads is just the P0671 code, so was wondering if just 1 glow plug would stop this thing from starting or is a fuse or relay gone bad that is not firing the GPCM or could the whole GPCM be bad? I checked all connections and don't see anything apart or messed up, also have not had time to Ohm it all out either, got any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn E replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your question.

A single glow plug will not cause this truck to not start. If it ran before you removed the tune than my guess is something went wrong and the processor may have been erased or the stock program is corupt try reinstalling a program and see if the truck will start. If that is not it check and make sure there is fuel at the top fuel filter with the key on.

More Common causes of a crank hard start / no start will most likely be a internal oil leak at the STC bracket or dummy plugs or a bad IPR (Injector Pressure regulator), ICP Injection control pressure sensor or the FICM modules go bad and will throw 8-10 injector codes eventually causing a no start concern. If your ICP is located in the rear of the engine on the high pressure pump those tend to leak oil. This causes various problems and the ICP needs to be replaces along with the connector. If the ICP is in the rear it doesn't have the STC or dummy plugs and chances are it’s just the ICP gone bad or IPR. The later 6.0L will have the ICP in the top front of the passenger side valve cover. This generation 6.0L has the STC and dummy plug problems.

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, if you need further assistance please ask.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and Bonuses are appreciated. Thank you, Shawn.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure seems like a lot to go and try to diag for this after just doing this complete tear down and build back of the motor nearly a month ago, almost everything was replaced except the turbo, so guessing that if the ECM might have corrupted, and SCT experts have given me a recovered stock tune from Ford to put in the truck and it is still doing this no start and only giving me the P0671 code after 10 minutes of cranking and it finally starting and running, what shall I do. Would or should I take it to Ford and see if they can flash the ECM again and start fresh, and by any chance what do they usally charge for something like that?
Expert:  Shawn E replied 2 years ago.
I would start by trying the stock tune for SCT. I believe that will solve the problem. If not a Ford dealer would charge $200-300 to diag and reprogram a pcm. Make sure you have fuel. Monitor rpm while cranking should be 200-300. Monitor ICP pressure it needs to be over 500 psi to start. If the whole engine was just torn down check the IPR if the screen is torn replace the valve.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
IPR is the one back behind the turbo, with the nice little jacket on it and funky plug, and the ICP is the one near the front of the passanger valve cover, and that is where I can do an air test to make sure my HP Oil rails are not leaking correct. Also one other thing you might be able to help me with is, every once in a while but not all the time when I run WOT like playing with another truck or car, this thing will spit up a little anitfreeze through the cap, I have replaced the cap, hoses and even the dang tank, so makes me wonder if I should tourqe the heads down further then what ARP recommened which is 215 with their stud kit, any thoughts, after all this that should do it for me and I will make sure you get paid some for this.......THANKS
Expert:  Shawn E replied 2 years ago.
You are correct on the IPR and ICP.

Make sure the tank is filled to a half inch below the mark if it is overfilled it will puke out we had a recall to install labels for the new level.

Did you do a EGR delete?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it blew out on me about 2 months ago, so that is what made me step up and do all the things I have done to this truck, I have tried to bullet proof this 6.0 and at the same time laugh at the rice burners, along with camaros and mustangs, BTW which it will do, it is something else to move a 9100 lb truck as fast as this thing is and the HP is off the charts with different tunes, it's crazy and fun, but these little bugs on this truck like to eat at the pockets...........LOL
Expert:  Shawn E replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have just about the same setup on mine.

If you are boosting high keep the coolant bottle lower to prevent the coolant from coming out.
Shawn E, Ford Senior Master
Experience: 23 Years with Ford, 12 Year Ford Senior Master, ASE Master.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Shawn, I am going to go tinker with the those two dang things and see what I find or figure out, have a good one and I really enjoyed your help. Thanks
Expert:  Shawn E replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome