Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

Ford F250 Pickup 4x2: 1989 ford f250 dual fuel tank problem.

Customer Question

1989 ford f250 dual fuel tank problem.
Well I have 1989 f250 with the 7.5l 460. I have been having problems with my front fuel tank, with the front fuel tank selected it is getting its gas from the rear tank still, the gauge reads the front tank but it is feeding off the rear tank. I Bought a new fuel tank selector valve (dual tank reservoir) and replaced it along with the fuel filter but no luck, still the same problem. Where do I go from here?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 2 years ago.

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, more than likely the selector switch on the dash has failed. The contacts in the switch are stuck on the rear tank for the fuel pump power but the othe contact in the switch is moving to switch the gauge readings. Let me know if this has already been replaced. Thanks

Customer: When I use the selector switch you can hear the pump priming when I switch between front and back so that makes me think the switch is fine? I'm not sure though, I will replace the switch and see if that does it
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
I can get you a switch diagram in the morning so we can test it with a test light before ordering a new one. Let me know if you want the test diagram? I am signing off for tonight but will send the diagram in the morning if you want. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would appreciate that, I have a decent amount of experience with wiring diagrams so I would appreciate it. Thanks for the help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've been doing a little more research and am i correct to believe that the fuel tank selector valve will remain on the same tank regardless of which is selected until it receives pressure from the other tanks boost pump?

That is correct if your switching valve has no wires on it. Here is a diagram. The red wire should have power with the switch flipped to the front tank. The brown with white stripe should have power when switched to the rear. Let me know what you get. Thanks

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Turns out the there is an open between the wire harness and the sending unit.
Well, let me know how it turns out and if you need further help. Thanks