Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Ower
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical

2001 ford excursion: narrow down..anti-theft light blinks rapidly.

trying to narrow down a problem. I have 2001 ford excursion. the anti-theft light blinks rapidly. Now the battery drains quickly. I found that the dash instruments panel remains lightly lit after ignition is off and key is removed or in the off position. A few days earlier while driving the the speedometer guage was going back and forth and then the overdrive light was flashing off and on.

I have short to ground somewhere. I believe without a schematic it is narrowed down to bad PAT, PCM or Ignition key switch. I cant find a schematic so I can test with a meter to see which one is bad. with your experience which one is bad or can you provide a troubleshooting guide so I can actually test which componet is bad with a meter?

Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.

welcome to Just Answer.

It sounds like it could be a bad connection with the cluster or PCM. Have you done a draw test on the fuse box to narrow the suspend down?

Do you know what the connector number is XXXXX th PCM? I can give you the pin out and for the cluster.

Do the draw test and this will narrow the ignition, cluster or pcm down.

Pleas get back to me and check for codes in the computer if any.

thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I will have to look tomorrow it is too dark to see what I am doing. I will have to pull out the PCM from inside so I can see the connector number. I dont have a system to check for codes. I will see if harbor freight tools as such a tool.

It would be nice to have the pin out since I have spent the good part of the of the day looking for schematics. It seems like the schematics are treated like classified material and is very hard to find.

do I need to build any devices for a draw test or can i just put my meter inline to measure the draw. I have to build a simple device to measure draw when I trouble shoot Generators during a draw test. Just wandering if I need one here for the Ford?

Thats for resonding

good evening.

What you will need is a test light and a zip tie.

Disconnect the Negative cable

Clamp the test light to the negative cable end

zip tie the test light pointed end to the battery post.

You need to have a friend help you if you can not see the test light from inside the car.

You need to make sure that all the doors are closed key off and out of ignition.

If the test light is light up you have a draw going on.

Then start at the top of the fuse box pull the top left one out and see if the light goes out,

if the light does not go out lay that fuse down and make sure you put the fuses back in the order you remove them.

If the test light is still light then pull the next fuse out and then the next and the then the next fuse, you will do this until the light goes out.

When the light goes out that is the circuit that is causing the draw and you need to check if it has a relay and check the wiring.

Note if the light goes dim note to that fuse and keep going until the light goes out, it is possible you could have two draws going on.

Let me know how you do with this.

thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, i'll test in morning
I have to go into town be back in a hour. It is 9:16am here at Mountain time. Then I will be on all day today and the rest of the week.

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi

inside the cabin I pulled the fuses.

I noteded that fuse#1 (Radio) dimmed the test light. Not a lot though. That position is the keep the clock alive in the radio. I assume that is normal drain.

I got to fuse 15 - pulled it and the test light went out. I replaced the other fuses and left 15 out. I quickly found out what the GEM was for due to the fact I could not take vehicle out of park. <smile>

Im trying to locate the PATS so I can unplug that and retest to see if the test light is remaining on. And the same with the GEM. I found the GEM location I just cant find the PATS location I wanted to know which one is causing the draw.

However, After reviewing many newsgroups on the GEM with excursions and water leaking down on to it I probably will assume it will be the GEM.

I also read that the alternator or regulator being faulty will cause my symptoms and make it look like the GEM or PATS is faulty.

My question is this: Can I test the GEM or is that only scanned at factory service center? If I can test it that would be great and Pin outs and or schematic would be nice.

The same question goes for the PATS as well.

But based on the symptoms the door locks locking and unlocking on its own with fuse 15 in; I assume it will be GEM since it controls the door locks. Also the overdrive and speedometer needle fluctating points to GEM.

A schematic with both wiring to PATS and GEM will tell me what is common that makes the PATS act up as well. Before buying parts I want to be absolutely sure. since the parts are not cheap.

And thanks for your time.

thank you for getting back to me and up dating me. ok here you go.
graphic

graphic

graphic

INSPECTION AND VERIFICATION: GENERIC ELECTRONIC MODULE (GEM) (MULTIFUNCTION ELECTRONIC MODULES) Procedure SGML ID: N189861
SECTION 419-10: Multifunction Electronic Modules 2001 F-Super Duty 250-550/Excursion/F-53 Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING Procedure revision date: 06/21/2000

Generic Electronic Module (GEM)

Special Tool(s)
73III Automotive Meter
105-R0057 or equivalent
Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS)
418-F224

New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester
418-F052 or equivalent diagnostic tool

Principles of Operation

The following is list of GEM controlled functions:

• 4-wheel drive functions
  • front and rear wiper/washer
  • warning chimes
  • keyless entry
  • interior and exterior lamps
  • power windows

The generic electronic module (GEM) constantly monitors its subsystems for concerns. If a concern is found in one of the subsystems, the GEM will record the concern in the form of a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). The ignition switch position is very important to the GEM function. Often times, erratic or unexpected GEM function can be traced to concerns with ignition switch inputs.

Ignition Switch Positions

The position of the ignition switch is very important to correct GEM operation. The following is a brief description of five ignition switch positions.

When the ignition switch is in the RUN position, battery voltage should be present at the GEM RUN and RUN/ACC input terminals.

When the ignition switch is in the ACC position, battery voltage should be present at the GEM RUN/ACC input terminal only.

When the ignition switch is in the START position, battery voltage should be present at the GEM start/clutch depressed input.

The GEM module does not have an OFF or LOCK switch state input. The GEM will assume the OFF or LOCK position when there are no RUN, ACC, or START signals present.

Inspection and Verification

1. Verify the customer concern by operating the system.
  1. Visually inspect for obvious signs of electrical damage.

Visual Inspection Chart

Electrical
Central junction box (CJB) fuse:
  • 8 (5A)
  • 15 (5A)
Wiring harness
Connector(s)
Circuitry

1. If the concern remains after the inspection, connect the diagnostic tool to the data link connector (DLC) located beneath the instrument panel and select the vehicle to be tested from the diagnostic tool menu. If the diagnostic tool does not communicate with the vehicle:
  • check that the program card is correctly installed.
  • check the connections to the vehicle.
  • check the ignition switch position.
  1. If the diagnostic tool still does not communicate with the vehicle, refer to the diagnostic tool manual.
  1. Carry out the DATA LINK DIAGNOSTICS test. If the diagnostic tool responds with:
  • CKT914, CKT915 or CKT70 = ALL ECUS NO RESP/NOT EQUIP, refer to Section 418-00.
  • NO RESPONSE/NOT EQUIP for GEM, go to pinpoint Test A.
  • SYSTEM PASSED, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs and carry out self-test diagnostics for the GEM.
  1. If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index to continue diagnostics.
  1. If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, refer to the appropriate section of the Workshop Manual to continue diagnostics.

graphic

INSPECTION AND VERIFICATION: ANTI-THEFT—PASSIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM (PATS) (ANTI-THEFT — PATS) Procedure SGML ID: N152241
SECTION 419-01: Anti-Theft — PATS 2001 F-Super Duty 250-550/Excursion/F-53 Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual

Anti-Theft—Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS)

Refer to Wiring Diagrams Cell 112 ( F-SUPER DUTY 250-550/EXCURSION, F-53 Motorhome Chassis ), Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) for schematic and connector information.

Special Tool(s)
73III Automotive Meter or equivalent
105-R0057
Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS)
418–F224

New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester
418–F052, or equivalent scan tool

Principles of Operation

The passive anti-theft system (PATS) uses radio frequency identification technology to deter a drive away theft. Passive means that it does not require any activity from the user. This system is known as SecuriLock® in North America, Safeguard® in the U.K., and PATS in continental Europe. This information can be found in owner literature.

The PATS uses a specially-encoded ignition key. Each encoded ignition key contains a permanently installed electronic device called a transponder. Each transponder contains a unique encrypted identification code out of over 18 billion, billion combinations.

Each encoded ignition key must be programmed into a vehicle's PATS module before it can be used to start the engine. There are special diagnostic repair procedures in this section that must be carried out if the encoded ignition keys need to be replaced.

The transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. This module is located behind the steering column shroud, and contains an antenna connected to a small electronics module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends the data to the PATS module.

The control functions are contained in the PATS module. This module carries out all of the PATS functions such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition key and controlling engine enable. The PATS module initiates the key interrogation sequence when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to RUN or START.

PATS uses the powertrain control module (PCM) to enable or disable the engine. The PATS module communicates with the PCM over the standard corporate protocol (SCP) communication network in order to enable engine operation. The PATS module and the PCM use sophisticated messages in order to prevent theft. The PATS and PCM share security data when first installed together, making them a matched pair. After this security data sharing, these modules will not function in other vehicles. The PCM shared security ID is remembered even if the battery is disconnected. The PATS module also stores the vehicle's key identification code, even if the battery is disconnected. There are special diagnostic repair procedures outlined in this workshop manual that may be carried out if either the PATS module or the PCM needs replacement.

All elements of the PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start.

PATS uses a THEFT indicator. This indicator will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS concern, this indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily when the ignition is turned to RUN or START. PATS also flashes the theft indicator every two seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual theft deterrent.

The PATS is not compatible with aftermarket remote starting systems, which allow the vehicle to be started from outside the vehicle. These systems may reduce the vehicle security level, and also may cause no-start issues. Remote start systems must be removed before investigation of PATS-related no start issues.

The passive vehicle protection system will be activated and will disable the vehicle from starting if there is a:

• damaged encoded key.
  • unprogrammed key.
  • non-encoded key (key has no electronics).
  • wiring concern.
  • transceiver concern.
  • PCM concern.
  • SCP network concern between the PATS module and the PCM.
  • PATS module concern.

Inspection and Verification

NOTE: The Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) module must be reconfigured after replacement. Refer to Section 418-01.

1. Visually inspect for obvious signs of mechanical and electrical damage.

Visual Inspection Chart

Mechanical Electrical
  • Ignition lock cylinder
  • Encoded ignition key (PATS key)
  • Use of non-encoded ignition key (key without the molded plastic head, non-PATS key)
  • Use of a non-programmed encoded ignition key
  • Central junction box (JB) fuse:
    • Fuse 2 (5A)
    • Fuse 15 (5A)
    • Fuse 19 (10A)
  • PATS transceiver module
  • Connectors
  • Ignition switch

1. If an obvious cause for an observed or reported concern is found, correct the cause (if possible) before proceeding to the next step.
  1. If the scan tool does not power up:
    • check the connections to the vehicle.
    • check the ignition switch is in RUN position.
    • If the scan tool still does not power up, refer to the scan tool manual.
  1. Carry out the DATA LINK DIAGNOSTICS test. If the scan tool responds with:
    • NO RESP/NOT EQUIP for PATS module, go to XXXXX
    • SYSTEM PASSED, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs, and carry out the self-test diagnostics for the PATS module.
  1. If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to the PATS Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index to continue diagnostics.
  1. If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, proceed to Symptom Chart to continue diagnostics

If you are satisfied with my answer I have provided for you please click the ACCEPT BUTTON for me to receive the credit for my time and helping you. After you click the accept button you are more then welcome to ask me more questions as long as it is related to this issue for FREE.I do not get credit for helping you until you click the ACCEPT BUTTON. If you are a subscriber please make sure you click the Accept Button, this does not cost you anything. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Thank you very much
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Ower
Experience: Diagnosticas & Electrical