Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair

ford F150 Pickup 4x2: How do I reset the service engine soon

How do I reset the service engine soon light on my 2002 ford f150
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Welcome! I'm DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access back to this thread, bookmark it now!

To reset the Service Engine light, you can remove the "NEG" cable from the battery for 15 minutes. Keep in mind: If the reason the light is on was not addressed, or repaired incorrectly, the light will return within 50-75miles of normal driving (sooner depending where the problem lies). If you have not addressed the problem, and would like to know "why" the ligh is on, you will need to have the "p-codes" (diagnostic trouble codes) read from the on-board computer. Most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will read these codes for FREE (except in California).