Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2000 ford ranger xlt: tail light..only two spots for a bulb to go into

2000 ford ranger xlt flare side truck. The tail light has only two spots for a bulb to go into. There are three lights though, all three do something though. One does running lights one does back up lights and one does brake lights and turning lights. Is this the wrong lens cover or what. All parts are marked ford and i do not see any after market parts here.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. I bought some aftermarket tail lights for my 2000 ford once and ran into the same problem..the 2 place bulbs are actually for the newer fords so you will need to return tail lights...What I did is used a amber signal bulb in the reverse light hole and just went without reverse lights..That is about your only option without replacing light. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Let me rephrase this again the truck has three tail lights factory installed. The lens cover only has two spots in it. One bulb has no spot to go. Here in va. We need back up lights or we get failed on inspection.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Then you will need to buy new tail light lenses...The ones you have are for a newer ranger, I believe 03 +. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.