Cory
Cory, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 25 plus years experience on Ford cars and trucks, gas and diesel
48496350

My 2001 Ford Expedition wont start. When I turn the key to

My 2001 Ford Expedition won't start. When I turn the key to start ane you hear a clicking sound from under the truck. Also when I open the door the interior lights click and come on briefly and then go out. My windows won't work and my door locks will lock on their own without touching anything. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cory replied 5 years ago.

Cory :

Sounds like insufficient voltage from battery. Have battery tested.

Customer:

I have checked it with a multimeter and it shows it pulling 16V

Cory :

16 volts is way to high. Load test battery, cell test. The battery should be no higher than 12.5 resting volts.

Customer:

How do I go about load testing the battery. Note: the multimeter I am using is a basic one.

Cory :

What is your meter showing for batt volts? You can load test your battery with your meter hooked up to DC volts, disconnect battery from a seperate vehicle and run jumper cables to the pos and neg of the other vehicle. Then disable fuel pump or spark and crank engine to put a load on your battery in the Expedition. This is the only way without a load tester and if the Expedition won't crank. Again, what is your resting battery voltage?

Customer:

Stepped away to deal with another issue. I will try . Resting voltage with nothing connected to the terminels is 16V

Cory :

Please note that your deposit does not constitute payment. If you have a monthly subciption you must still press the accept tab. If you are satisfied with my assistance, you MUST press the accept button or I am not compensated. Thank You, Cory

Customer:

Well just tested the load on battery. Ended up with less than 8V