AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2004 F150: my check engine light and wrench light are illuminated

Customer Question

I have a 2004 F150 and my check engine light and wrench light are illuminated. The truck will turn over but not stay on for more than about 2-3 seconds. Not sure what to check
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't have an obd II reader
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. can you keep the engine running by stepping on the gas pedal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, doesn't run long enough
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried using starting fluid?

Have you checked the fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Starting Fluid?

How do I check the fuel pressure?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
You would need a fuel pressure gauge to hook up to the fuel rail and take a reading.

You would spray starting fluid into the intake when the engine is about to stall and see if the engine continues to run.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My wife just got home. Would it be easier to go buy a OBD II reader?

Any preference? One that I can get at Pepboys or Autozone.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
IT does not matter on the code reader just as it will read obd2. I got one for about 40 bucks at my local parts store that works just fine. YES.. it would help you to diagnose this condition with a code reader.

The check engine light is on because there is a code in the PCM. The wrench light is on because there is a malfunction with the electronic throttle body system. It could be a sensor, wiring issue or even a bad throttle body.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Truck just started. Still going to check out the throttle body connector and sensor. Not sure if the Gunk engine cleaner had anything to do with it, but....

Thank you for the assistance.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
You bet!

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still reply or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost to you.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sitting @ home depot and truck is not running properly. Have codes P101, P104, P106, P110, P111, P135, P135. Truck starts but is none responsive to gas pedal. Anything I can look at or quick fix until I get to a mechanic?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
I would clear the codes and see which codes comes back first.

Also, check to see if it comes out of limp mode when the engine is shut off and restarted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
104,111& 135
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Ok..give me a minute..
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
The P0135 is for the o2 sensor heater and the p0104 could be an induction leak or a bad throttle body. Check for air and vacuum leaks first before getting it towed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I do that? No tools with me at all
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
You just pop the hood with it idling and listen for hissing sound indicating air or vacuum leaks..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't tell. I hear a little hissing but can't tell where it is coming from or if it isn't normal
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. then the intake system system will need to be smoked checked for leaks with a smoke machine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great. Calling tow truck
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good! It sounds like you might just have an issue with the throttle body as well for some reason.. but only time will tell.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!