John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

2002 taurus: power steering filter

where is the power steering filter 2002 taurus? I am having problems with fluid coming out of top when I shut it off.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 4 years ago.

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

Sorry a filter will not fix this.

You have trapped air in the power steering system. This was a common issue on these cars. Here is how to fix it. First you need another power steering cap. Now drill a hole in it so you can thread a 5/16 hose barb fitting into it. You can get these at a hardware store. Now run a piece of vacuum hose from the hose barb, remove the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and hook it up. Now let it sit and run for 5 minutes. After this turn the steering wheel to the left and let run for 5 minutes. Repeat to the right. This should repair the problem. If the problem returns you need to replace the rack and pinion as it is sucking air.

Customer:

Ok now where is the fuel pressure regulator at

John Mc :

Wait, an 02 may or may not have one. Look on the fuel rail on the top of the motor. If there is a small silver piece with a red vacuum line that is it. If yours does not have this there should be a sensor on the fuel rail with a vacuum line going to it. If so use this vacuum line.

Sorry for the confusion but 02 models were split year with the regulators.

Expert:  John Mc replied 4 years ago.
If you have any further questions just come back to the link in this email!

I'm always glad to help.
John Mc