Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

picture of 1999 ranger 4.0l cam sensor position

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 2 years ago.

Rmldaytona :

Hello. Thank you for using Just Answer. I'm Robert and will give my best efforts in answering your question. Are you looking for the location of the sensor on the engine or installation procedures? Additionally, are you replacing just the sensor or the cam sensor synchronizer assembly?

Customer :

syncronizer assy, have wrong synco tool, dam it, any how need picture of sync shaft position with eng on tdc

Rmldaytona :

Have you removed the synchronizer yet? Was the engine at TDC when it was removed? Do you still have the old sensor?

Customer :

fixing some one elses work, syncro was removed, housing to block is marked but did not mark shaft to housing. eng is now on tdc, was not removed on tdc

Rmldaytona :

Unfortunately, the tool is required for installation. The major problem is that you must align the sensor housing and the inner reluctor as shown in the following image with the tool installed.

Full Size Image
Without the tool, it is impossible to properly align the sensor and the reluctor. There are no images avaiable with the sensor installed at TDC

Customer :

there no images of reluctor to sensor housing alignment!

Rmldaytona :

Not in any service manual. Allow me to do some searching

Customer :

o/k thanks, just need to know as with old distributors where to point reluctor, its a half moon cut out for the sensor to read and i am guessing its rt or left of sensor position

Rmldaytona :

I found a picture of the tool. If you look at the tool position and where the reluctor goes in, you will get a good idea of where the synchronizer reluctor should be positioned.

Full Size Image

Customer :

theres the rub, i have that very tool, but if you look at it where the reluctor aligns is a pin or small tab, the reluctor in this ranger is a half moon cut out and i think is for 98 and older rangers, this 99 is a early model 99

Rmldaytona :

This is the tool?

Full Size Image

Customer :

yep thks that is it. going to shop and try aligning half moon to rt and just touching sensor point, but no top view of syncro installed with sensor removed

Rmldaytona :

Sorry, no top view of the sensor installed

Customer :

o/k, i will let you know if it works, give me a hour, that sucker is buried , have to remove upper intake to access the sucker.

Rmldaytona :

You can install the tool on the old synchro. Make a mark to where the reluctor is. Since you have a mark on the old sensor as it was mounted in the engine, all you will have to do is to transfer the marks to the new sensor.

Rmldaytona :

Sorry, you can pretend to install the tool by visually looking at the tool image, then mark the synchro and install it.