rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  37 years experience

2000 ford focus: overheating..relay..temp sensor, switch, resistor

Customer Question

2000 ford focus overheating, because cooling fans are not operating; replaced blown fuse and relay 15, can not find temp sensor, switch, resistor, or whatever it is called. Is there anything i may be missing?
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 years ago.

rpmdiag :

Thanks for your question. Sorry you're having car problems, I will do my best to research this and supply you with an accurate answer ASAP. Here are some attachments that will help you. Don't forget to run separate power and ground to the fan to make sure the fan motor does work too.

Attachment: 2012-03-17_180702_engine_cooling_fan_relay2.pdf

Full Size Image
Thanks, Ron

Attachment: 2012-03-17_180635_engine_cooling_fan_relay.pdf

Full Size Image

Customer :

The fans do operate with separate ground and power. I replaced the relay and fuse.

Customer :

In the manual it talks and the PCM and CHT. It only shows the sensor for the SPI engine. Where is it on this one

rpmdiag :

Here is more information for you, but the most common cause would be the fan control module. Ron

Attachment: 2012-03-17_181826_locations.pdf

Full Size Image

Customer :

Where is the fan control module located not looking at my mannual now

Customer :

The CHT is located behind the alternator and I can not get to it The alternator is jammed. It was obviously put on before the engine was installed

rpmdiag :

The location is not listed in the manual for the module. It's real easy to change though, because the labor time is .3 of an hours it's under the hood though. Just follow the leads from the fan back to the module. Engineers are funny that way, when it comes to building cars:) Thanks, Ron

Customer :

Ron, Thanks for everything.

rpmdiag :

You bet, thank you too.Pleas click on the accept button for me now, and if you still need more help later on with this, just keep this link and I will help you. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer :

I can not accept your answer though. I was trying to locate what i was missing. I have tried to traced wires and searched the engine from top to bottom.

rpmdiag :

I supplied you with all the informationyou needed to locate your problem. Ron

Customer :

Yes I read the manual also, but could not find the location. That is the main reason for asking the question.

Customer :

I will accept, I may need your help again. You did help some.

rpmdiag, Diagnostic Expert
Experience: 37 years experience
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 years ago.

No problem, just let me know.

Thanks again, Ron