6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.

2002 Ford Focus SE: fuel pump..fuel pressure regulator..fuel injectors

I have a 2002 Ford Focus SE with a Zetec engine. The engine is hard to start when cold. I have repalced the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator sensor, and the fuel injectors. I believe I am losing fuel pressure after shutdown. I am curious to know if the silver bell looking object ahead of the fuel pressure regulator sensor is a check valve to keep pressure on the rail. I cannot locate that part on line or in my Haynes manual. I do know I have a returnless fuel system. I plan to take that part to the dealer for identification and purchase. Thanks. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is James.
For your 2002, take a look at the following illustration...
graphic
I believe you are looking at item 6, which is simply the fuel pulse damper. This will have no effect on retaining fuel pressure after the engine is shut off. The anti-drain back function is built into the fuel pump.

We had a huge batch of bad fuel pumps for early focus models over the last year or so. Please read the following service message and see if you can make sure the newer part number was used, if a factory pump was installed.

The way to know for sure is to monitor fuel pressure either with a mechanical guage, or with a scan tool capable of reading live sensor data, monitoring the FRP value. You want to see at least 55 psi with the key on and the pressure should not drop after the pump turns off.

If you see fuel pressure dropping once the pump turns off, the pump will need to be replaced again. Even with the newer part number, this is a well known problem in the Ford circles. I actually had one myself which had 7 pumps replaced over the course of a year.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi James.
I bought a Spectra Premium Ind SP2325M fuel pump module assembly on Feb 13 and installed it about 2 days later. Installation went smoothly. Are you saying that I should install a Motocraft part only?
Willis
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
James,
I also might add that there is no fuel pressure schrader value that I can see on the rail. I do have a fuel pressure gauge but I can't find any place to attach. I noticed a sealed enclosure on the end of the rail with 2 screws. Could there be a schrader valve under that cover?
Willis
Expert:  6Bucs replied 2 years ago.
Hey, Willis.

Cars these days have gotten away from traditional fuel rails with scraeder valves and they now just use the rail mounted pressure sensor. Monitoring that sensor with a scan tool is terribly easy, provided you can get access to one.

To use a mechanical guage, there is a special adapter that can be used that is connected in line between the fuel line and the fuel rail. This sort of thing is available from Snap On, Matco, etc, and you would need to contact them to get the correct one.

The bad batch of fuel pumps we had affects both the motorcraft and aftermarket pumps, since typically one or two vendors provide the parts for all different brands. If the pump was replaced that recently, I would definitely see about getting a replacement from that company and you might want to mention that issue with them, in case they also have an updated part.

It's also possible that your pump is the newer style and it just went bad. Since the pump is so new, check on a warranty replacement.
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience: Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.