Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Ford: 1999 ford escort.need the timing procedure. Replacing

Customer Question

1999 ford escort.need the timing procedure. Replacing timing belt
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

have you already replaced the belt and it wont crank? Or are you getting ready to replace the belt?

is the 2.0 the SOHC or DOHC engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
replacing a broken belt. dohc engine
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, first, understand that this is an interference engine and when the timing belt breaks, it bends the valves and in more than a few cases will put holes in the top of the pistons. there are only 2 ways of verifying - first is to pull the head and inspect pistons and the valves. Second is to install the timing belt and see if it cranks.

About a 99% chance that the valves are bent, unless the timing belt broke at idle.

For timing belt, you will need a special timing belt tool set to lock crank and cams in place. you can rent this from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts.

Here are directions:

DOHC ENGINE

See Figures 13 through 21

A camshaft alignment timing tool (No. T94P-6256-CH or equivalent) and a crankshaft Top Dead Center (TDC) timing peg tool (No. T97P-6000-A or equivalent) are required for this procedure.

Make sure the correct notch in the pulley is indexed to the lower cylinder block. Refer to the accompanying illustration.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 13: A camshaft alignment timing tool ...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 14: ... and a crankshaft TDC timing peg tool are required when removing and installing the timing belt

1. Remove the spark plugs.
  2. Rotate the crankshaft to TDC.
  3. Locate and remove the plug bolt by the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor (refer to the illustration) and install the TDC timing peg.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 15: Remove the plug bolt by the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor and install the TDC timing peg

1. Raise the car and support it with safety stands.
  2. Unfasten the splash shields bolts and remove the shield.
  3. Lower the car and remove the water pump pulley.
  4. Remove the valve cover and the timing belt covers.
  5. Align the camshafts and install the camshaft alignment tool on the back of the camshafts as illustrated.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 16: Align the camshafts and install the alignment tool

WARNING
If the camshaft belt is being reused, mark the direction of the camshaft belt to the rotation of the camshaft prior to removal, or premature wear and belt failure could occur.

1. Loosen the tensioner pulley bolt and relieve the tension on the belt by disconnecting the tensioner tab from the timing cover back plate.
  2. Slide the belt off the sprockets.
  3. Inspect the belt for wear and replace as necessary.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 17: Timing belt routing-2.0L DOHC engine

To install:
  1. If, for any reason, the engine was disturbed, the camshafts moved or the sprockets replaced, perform the following procedure:

Make sure the correct notch in the pulley is indexed to the lower cylinder block.

1. Position the crankshaft just prior to Top Dead Center (TDC).
  2. If not already done, locate and remove the plug bolt by the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor (refer to the illustration) and install the TDC timing peg.
  3. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the TDC peg.

Installation of the alignment tool into the exhaust camshaft may require the camshafts to be rotated clockwise.

1. Install the camshaft alignment tool on the back of the camshafts.
  2. Install the timing belt and engage the timing belt tensioner tab into the upper timing cover backplate.

A3/8inch drive, 10mm, 2 inch torque adapter offset is required to tighten the tensioner bolt.

1. Using a 6mm Allen wrench, adjust the tensioner until the index marks are aligned and tighten the bolt to 17-20 ft. lbs. (22-28 Nm).
  2. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the TDC alignment peg, then remove the camshaft alignment tool.
  3. Remove the TDC peg tool and install the plug bolt.
  4. Install the timing and valve covers.
  5. Install the water pump pulley and the splash shield.
  6. Install the spark plugs.

If the engine or the camshaft were not disturbed in any way, or the sprockets were not removed, perform the following procedure:

1. Install the timing belt and engage the timing belt tensioner tab into the upper timing cover backplate.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 18: Engage the timing belt tensioner tab into the upper timing cover backplate ...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 19: ... then use a 6mm Allen wrench to adjust the tensioner until the index marks are aligned

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 20: A 3/8 inch drive, 10mm, 2 inch torque adapter offset is required to tighten the tensioner bolt (arrow)-2.0L DOHC engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 21: Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the TDC alignment peg

1. Remove the TDC peg tool and install the plug bolt.
  2. Install the timing and valve covers.
  3. Install the water pump pulley and the splash shield.
  4. Install the spark plugs.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

did you want directions to pull the cylinder head to check valve damage and piston damage, or are you just going to replace the belt and see if it has compression afterwards