Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Ford Focus LE: The timing belt broke in my wifes 2002 Ford

The timing belt broke in my wife's 2002 Ford Focus. The mechanic says there is a 50% chance the car will run like new and a 50% chance it will not run well if when the belt belt broke it damaged or hit any valves. He is charging us $474 including the $80 for the diagnostic. How accurate is the information, and how reasonable is this price?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

In most cases the 2.0 is not an interference engine and usually replacing the belt will be fine. In some rare cases if you where going fast enough it "may have" bent the valves but not very likely. I would go ahead and do the new belt. Ford does not consider this an interference engine. The price is well within the ball park and about right. There is no way of knowing 100% with out installing the new belt and running a compression test.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In speaking with the mechanic he said it is an interference engine. Does that possibly increase the likelyhood of the valves being bent.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

Is this a SOHC cam engine Or the DOHC? Give me the 8th letter of the vin.