Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair

Front windshield wipers are not working on my Ford Explorer.

Customer Question

Front windshield wipers stopped working on my 2002 ford explorer. How can I fix it?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

When you turn on the wipers, can you hear the motor running?

Does the Windshield Washer still work?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not hear the motor running when I turned it on, and the winshield washer does not work.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Ok. We need to look at Fuse #8 in the fuse block on the driver's side:

If Fuse #8 is ok, move to the Relay Box under the hood, and inspect these 2 relays (you can swap them out with another relay with the same numbers.)

If the relays check ok, next we need to provide the wiper motor with 12v straight. If the motor does not respond, the motor itself is the culprit. If the motor does respond, and the fuses/relays are good, the problem will be in the Multifunction Switch on the steering coluimn.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

To access the Wiper Motor, the Cowl (the plastic grille at the base of the windshield) will need to be removed:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How can I tell if the fuse and relays are out?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
The fuse will look "burnt". Remove the fuse and hold it up to the light. If the middle of the fuse is not solid, and/or has internal burns, it's blown. The relay you will need to either swap with another from the same box, and substitue with a known good one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am having trouble locating the fuse box on the driver side. I believe I see it but I do not see a #8

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, Ford does not label their fuse boxes. Click "View Full Image" on the image of the fuse box I sent above. I labeled the fuse in "red". The fuse box is located under the driver's side dash, towards the left.