Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Ford Explorer: my front windshield wipers stopped working on

Customer Question

my front windshield wipers stopped working on my 2002 ford explorer. how i can fix it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

Welcome! I'm DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access back to this thread, bookmark it now!

When you turn on the wipers, can you hear the motor running?

Does the Windshield Washer still work?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not hear the motar running when i turned it on, and the winshield washer does not work.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

Ok. We need to look at Fuse #8 in the fuse block on the driver's side:

graphic

If Fuse #8 is ok, move to the Relay Box under the hood, and inspect these 2 relays (you can swap them out with another relay with the same numbers.)

graphic

If the relays check ok, next we need to provide the wiper motor with 12v straight. If the motor does not respend, the motor itself is the culprit. If the motor does respond, and the fuses/relays are good, the problem will be in the Multifunction Switch on the steering coluimn.

graphic

Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

To access the Wiper Motor, the Cowl (the plastic grille at the base of the windshield) will need to be removed:

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how can i tell if the fuse and relays are out?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
The fuse will look "burnt". Remove the fuse and hold it up to the light. If the middle of the fuse is not solid, and/or has internal burns, it's blown. The relay you will need to either swap with another from the same box, and substitue with a known good one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im having trouble locating the fuse box on the driver side, i beleive i see it but i do not see a #8

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, Ford does not label their fuse boxes. Click "View Full Image" on the image of the fuse box I sent above. I labeled the fuse in "red". The fuse box is located under the driver's side dash, towards the left.